7.0.21 Spellchecker Freezes GS - Spinning Beach Ball - Need to Force Quit

I installed 7.0.21 from 7.0.16.

The description has one word its thinks is misspelled, which is “pinstriping”.

Rarely Occurs:

1. Press Command + Shift + Semicolon
  2. The spellchecker opens.
  3. As soon press “Find Next” “pinstriping” is selected, but a spinning beachball is created and GS freezes, losing any recent work.
  4. I need to force quit GS, which the Finder says is not responding.

99.9% of the Time this Occurs:

Same as above but it allows me to press “Find Next” a second time.

It finds “_gsrx_vers_859” and then freezes.

That phrase appears no where in the Preview Mode or Editor Mode.

Interestingly if I switch to the Editor Mode where the HTML is shown it does not freeze and nor does it find “_gsrx_vers_859”.

I curious if it could not be locked into some type of infinite loop whereas it keeps looking for _gsrx_vers_859 in the list of correct words to see if there is a match (correct word) or no match (possible incorrect word).

I changed “pinstriping” to “pinstripe” so that there are no incorrect words in the text. GS found “_gsrx_vers_859” and then froze with a spinning beach ball.

For a temporary workaround I’ll need to switch to the Editor Mode to spellcheck.

Another temporary alternative would be to use a AppleScript to export the Description to the clipboard so you can paste it into a TextEdit to spellcheck it. One has to remove the HTML to make it more easy to read. The following seems to work.

tell application “GarageSale 7”
repeat with theListing in (get selected ebay listings)
set des to get the description of theListing
set comment to get private comment of theListing
end repeat
end tell

set theText to replaceText("
", return & return, des)
", return & return, theText)

", “”, theText)
", “”, theText)
set theText to replaceText("&", “&”, theText)
set theText to replaceText(" ", " ", theText)

on replaceText(find, replace, textString)
set prevTIDs to AppleScript’s text item delimiters
set AppleScript’s text item delimiters to find
set textString to text items of textString
set AppleScript’s text item delimiters to replace
set textString to “” & textString
set AppleScript’s text item delimiters to prevTIDs
return textString
end replaceText

on removeMarkupFromText(theText)
set tagDetected to false
set theCleanText to “”
repeat with a from 1 to length of theText
set theCurrentCharacter to character a of theText
if theCurrentCharacter is “<” then
set tagDetected to true
else if theCurrentCharacter is “>” then
set tagDetected to false
else if tagDetected is false then
set theCleanText to theCleanText & theCurrentCharacter as string
end if
end repeat
return theCleanText
end removeMarkupFromText

get the clipboard
set the clipboard to removeMarkupFromText(theText)

That strings is included as part of the non-editable design wrapper, that GarageSale puts around your description. It helps us identify what version was used to upload a particular listing.

The spell-checker should not be inspecting that part of the HTML view, neither it should it crash when you click next.

I just test with GarageSale 8, and I also get the " “gsrx_vers…" strings when spell-checking in Preview Mode, but I don’t get a crash when clicking “Find Next”. :thinking:

Clicking Ignore or Learn in the spellchecker in order to bypass "_gsrx_vers_859” also creates a spinning beach ball and freezes GS. This is true if you have not already placed your cursor in the description area.

If you place your cursor in the description area and then open the spellchecker GS will produce a spinning beach ball and freeze as soon as the spellchecker opens. This is because as soon as it opens it automatically selects the first incorrect word without having to press Find Next or na yother button.

If you place your cursor in the title area and open or use the spellchecker it does not freeze GS.

I started Activity Monitor before trying the spellchecker and GS’s % of CPU was 11.59. After I clicked “Next”, causing GS to freeze, GS’s % of CPU operated in a range of 100.1, 99, 98, 99.9, 99.7

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 9.36.51 AM

Tried 8:

From a practical point of view the spellchecker should not be finding “_gsrx_vers_1233”.

In this example it thinks “pthe” is wrong and suggests “Pte” or “the”. Notice; however, it does not highlight the “p” but instead chooses the blank space following the word.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 5.07.36 AM

When you replace it with “the” you get the following result which you need to correct manually.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 5.10.16 AM

If you spellcheck in the Editor mode in which you can see the HTML it correctly highlights the word and only offers “the” as a solution.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 5.14.23 AM

I instructed version 8 to quit and after 14 minutes it was still displaying this popdown window so I choose to Quit Now.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 5.25.54 AM

You can “Show Activity Window” from the Window menu to see the progress of what GarageSale is doing…

Neal

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.