Complex descriptions using the inventory?

Hi,

I plan using the inventory and import hundred of products from a CSV file.

But my products have complex and long HTML descriptions, with many custom fields.
To illustrate, think to attributes like :

• diameter
  • length
    a.s.o.
    In fact, I have many more fields, each being stored in the column of a database table.

I also plan to use custom templates, coded by myself.

I’m aware of the possibility using this placeholder {{item.inventoryProductDescription}} to insert the description form the inventory into the listings.

It would be nice if I could create additional inventory columns and custom placeholders, {{item.inventoryProductDiameter}} and {{item.inventoryProductDiameter}}, so that I won’t have to prefabricate the complex descriptions in HTML but can generate them from columns in the inventory.

If this is not possible yet, I assume I should paste the HTML code manually for each listing using the Editor mode. Correct?

Maybe should I contact the team for some custom consulting?

Thanks you very much for your advice.

So basically your request is for user-definable attributes for inventory items, which can be embedded in your listing description via special tags, right.

And these attributes should also be importable through CSV, using some kind of dynamic headers, right? :thinking:

Thank you Ilja.

Yes, absolutely, this could be at the listing level instead of inventory.

Assuming one wants selling screws, the CSV should have columns like
(...),diameter_mm,length_mm,(...)
(...),6.0,45,(...)
(...),5.0,40,(...)

And either in the listing or in the template, some placeholder like {{diameter_mm}} to insert the values.

In fact, the best solution for me would be if --insead of using a CSV-- it was possible to edit the database directly with a tool like SQLiteStudio and append the necessary columns. The fact is that I already have those data in a product database of a “non-Ebay” shop.

I see. What’s not clear to me is what, what the behaviour would be when it comes to eBay attributes (aka. item specifics). Should we just copy the inventory item’s custom attributes into eBay attributes? I can imagine cases where there might be slightly different semantics, and you don’t want that behaviour. :thinking: Any ideas.

:rofl:Not going to happen. We are not using an SQLite database, and the list think we want is users poking around in the database and possibly corrupting it.

What’s not clear to me is what, what the behaviour would be when it comes to eBay attributes (aka. item specifics). Should we just copy the inventory item’s custom attributes into eBay attributes?

In my case, the attributes are independant from those that eBay uses and dont’ need to be set as attributes on eBay. They are merged into the description.

Basically, I could visit each product page of my website, copy the source code of the description and paste it in GarageSale’s listing in Editor mode. But it would be very long because of the many items.

So, I’m looking for the easiest way to import the descriptions from my database columns, as the template remains (if I except some small brand-specific differences).

Basically I want having some HTML template and insert fields. Something like:
<html><body>
<h2>{{description}}</h2>
<table>
<tr><th>Diameter:</th><td>{{screw_diameter}}</td></tr>
<tr><th>Length:</th><td>{{srew_length}}</td></tr>
</table>
</body></html>

I understand that you want avoiding the risk that users can corrupt their database.
For my part, I don’t want to alter existing colums but only append new colums.
Thoses colums would be used to compose the description, but not uploaded to eBay.
One idea could be adding a “user_custom_attributes” table, provide a way to edit it in SQL and have a checkbox to allow joining this table. The sku attribute could be used to make the JOIN.

Although I’m a fan of directly passing SQL commands, I’m of course also open to possible alternative solutions.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.