GS taking too much (?) space on disk

my GS Containers folder (in Libraries) taking more than 15GB of disk space.
i have a backup copy of all my images on another disk and they are only 2GB in space.

any way to optimise disk space usage ?

@Mr_Sandman mine is taking 56,37 GB, you should consider yourself lucky :grin:

oh, god. what a crazy numbers! i believe all ever existed images / listings are buried there.

any way to clean this ?

Yes, a solution would be useful because this folder is increasing day after day and my laptop disk is not so spacious …

Can you paste in the following command into the Terminal utility and send back it’s output, so we can get an idea, where all the space is being spent:

du -sh ~/Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale7/Data/Library/Application\ Support/GarageSale/*

You might need to scroll sideways to see the full command. Last character should be an *.

Hello @ilja,
here you find the file
Images seems to leak the most GB…

for me this two lines are the maximum:

10G /Users/*********/Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale7/Data/Library/Application Support/GarageSale/GarageSale.leveldb

1,7G /Users/*********/Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale7/Data/Library/Application Support/GarageSale/GarageSale_prior7.0.7.leveldb

If think you can safely delete all files or directories that contain the “prior7.0.” something. This are older versions of files no longer in use. Before doing so, it still might be a good idea to make sure you have a current backup. Better safe than sorry… :wink:

I’m not too surprised. Aren’t you listing postcards thousand of postcards with high quality scans? :wink:

@ilja Uhmmm yes, I can’t blame you, I was doing some calculations: 56 GB = 56.000 MB / 6000 listings = about 9 MB/listing, that’s not far from reality. What I am thinking is, if I delete one listing or if I change photos with other less heavy, does GS delete and change files into container folder or do they still remain and new files are added??

GarageSale is designed so images that aren’t used any longer in listings or inventory items are automatically deleted from your disk.

Fine, thanks for confirmation. So the matter is… how can I store data on an external HD? I suppose I can’t, as we already discussed in the past. But… I am using GS on a MacBook Pro with 500 GB of memory, 6000 listings leak 50GB, which is 1/10 of the space. Doing some calculations, 60.000 listings will totally full the space on my computer!! I won’t reach 60.000 listings in a few months, but it’s absolutely possible one day I will reach… and hopefully going on. So, what can I do?

Sounds like by the time you reach 60.000 listings you need a new computer with a larger drive. :wink:

for such business scale GS is not suitable.

just checked Application Support/GarageSale/GarageSale.leveldb folder.
i have 5100 files with .ldb extension which are all same size (2.1mb). and about 3000 of smaller files of different sizes.
currently i have about 300 listings is GS. 2-5 images per listing mainly 800x800 resolution and 300-400kb in size.
so 5000+ of files with same size is a waste of space i believe.

what are this files ? why they are all the same size ?

That’s GarageSale’s internal database.

Your images are not kept in that database. The number of files in the database is completely unrelated to the number of images.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.