Help updating to GS 7, please!

Last night I ran into a problem updating from GS6 to GS7. When first opening GS7 and clicking on “import database” I was getting the following message:“couldn’t communicate with a helper application.”

At this point I have GS6 backed up and functioning on a backup drive. I would like to have GS7 on my main startup drive but I’m not sure how to get there. Few questions:

1. Do I need to have GS6 installed and functioning on my main startup drive in order to be able to update to GS7? I can’t figure out how to get GS6 back onto it’s original drive. How do I do this?

2. Is it possible to update to GS7 on my startup drive when my running GS6 is on another drive?

3. Is it possible to install GS7 on my startup drive without importing my database when first opening GS7 and then restore my database? I’m not sure I won’t be getting the same "“couldn’t communicate with a helper application.” message the next time I attempt importing my database there. Maybe I have to re-install Sierra?

I hope I’m clear about what I have going on with this. Basically what I’d like to know is: How do I update to GS7 on my startup drive when my version of GS6 is on another drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi s11,

your GarageSale 6 database needs to be located on the same system GarageSale 7 is installed on.
If you want that GarageSale 7 imports your GarageSale 6 database on first launch, you’d need to transfer your GS6 database to your main system first.

Your GS6 database is located here:
Macintosh HD/Users/yourUserName/Library/Application Support/GarageSale/*

• Please note: The user Library is hidden by default! Click the Finder’s Go menu and press the option key (alt) to make the user Library show up in the
    menu. Selecting it will open it in the Finder.

If you want to re-import your GS6 database in GS7, please see the #19 “How do I re-import my GarageSale 6 library?” in the FAQs here:

Unfortuantely, there’s nothing you can do here as far as I can tell. It might be an issue with the system permissions but I can’t tell for sure. A restart of your Mac is worth a try.

Regards, Kristian

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.