Moving from GS 6.8 to 7

With this recent Ebay change, and all the Error 10007 messages, I’m forced to move to GS 7. But nowhere can I find how to transfer my listings from the computer that runs GS 6 to the OTHER computer that is GS 7 compatible. The instructions I find assume that GS resides on the same computer…nah.

Where do I find this stuff? I’m stuck.

On your old Mac, you should either have a folder at:

your home directory/Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale or
your home directory/Library/Application Support/GarageSale

Move that folder to the same location and your new Mac, and you should be good to go.

PS: your home directory refers to the directory named after your user name. It has a house as icon.
PPS. If you don’t see a library folder there, you need to make it visible from by invoking “View” > “Show View Options”.

Well, moved that folder all fine and dandy, but GS 7 doesn’t seem to care about it. All I get are results of finished auctions from the last two weeks. It doesn’t recognize anything else. I go to “Import”, and all the files are either grayed-out or the import button doesn’t function, just sitting grayed-out.

Not an auspicious debut. How do we fix this?

Hi Jim,

you probably need to re-import your GS6 database in GarageSale 7:

1. Export any listings and inventory items you created in GarageSale 7 and want to keep.
  2. Quit GarageSale 7.
  3. Rename the folder com.iwascoding.garagesale7 in your User Library* under
    Macintosh HD/Users/yourUserName/Library/Containers
    to something like com.iwascoding.garagesale7-old
  4. Restart GarageSale 7. In the welcome screen click on the “Import Database” button. This should import your current GS6 database.
  5. If done, import any items you exported in step #1.

*Please note: The User Library is hidden by default. To access it click the Finder’s “Go” menu and press the option and shift key to make the User Library show up in the menu. Selecting it will open it in the Finder.

Regards, Kristian

Seems that in my version of El Capitan, there is NO thing called “Containers” in anything in the App. Support folder or in the the User Library, nor in GarageSale. What now?

This is becoming tiresome. You really need clearer instructions.Some of us are kinda simple.

The “Container” folder is not located inside the “Application Support”, it’s located inside the “Library”* folder:
Macintosh HD/Users/yourUserName/Library/Containers

*Please note: The User Library is hidden by default. To access it click the Finder’s “Go” menu and press the option and shift key to make the User Library show up in the menu. Selecting it will open it in the Finder.

Regards, Kristian

Okay, my apologies…found the Containers folder.

But.

From within GS 7, nothing is selectable to import from GS6 on the MacPro to GS 7 on the MacMini.

So, I was able to download auctions/templates from My Ebay. Far too many duplicates as I usually re-do auctions every 7-10 days. How to eliminate those? Like, without going through one by one…?

Now, as I read the manual, I have to rewrite every auction every time I want to list it? Is that correct?

Also, I can’t figure out how to get my GS license from Mac A to Mac B…?

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.