Private Listing

What happened to the option to create Private Listings?

On the ebay US site, the option is:
Private Listing - Allow buyers to remain anonymous to other eBay users

I don’t see it anywhere in GS anymore (using 7.0.16 (841)). Used to be in the Advanced tab

Its in the online manual, there’s a screenshot of it
https://manual.iwascoding.com/gs7/en/Listings_Section-Setting_Up_eBay_Listings.html

Private Auction

When activated, this option will hide bidders’ user IDs in the active “public” listing, while keeping them visible for the seller. Keep in mind that eBay may charge you an extra fee for this option!

Hi schwane,

Since January this year the eBay API no longer supports the private listings option.
It has been marked as deprecated. On the eBay developer site it says:

Item.PrivateListing (deprecated): The PrivateListing field has been deprecated and removed from the WSDL with Version 1045. This field should no longer be used.

It’s curious that this option is still available on some eBay sites, though. Our guess is that eBay will remove it there, too (soon or later).

Regards, Kristian

1 Like

I must have some older listings and templates that still have private listing set on. I’d like to turn it off on those listings but I can’t now that the UI is removed. Is there any way to turn it off via applescript or something else?

As far as I can see there’s no way to add/remove the “private listing” option via Apple Script.

Are you really sure this options still gets tranferred to eBay if using older listings? Did you check this in the uploaded listing on eBay?

Regards, Kristian

Hi Kristian,

For sure it’s still there. I sent you an example via email with the exported listing. Listing was started yesterday and near the bottom of the page still shows " This is a private listing and your identity will not be disclosed to anyone except the seller."

Regards

Did you use the Relist command to start that listing?

In that case it might be possible that the “private listing flag”, is carried over from the existing listing in eBay’s database, because GarageSale only sends the listing number of eBay.

Hi ilja,

Thank you for that information. Yes, I did just start using the relist. Previously I had always copied the listing and used the start listing feature. I didn’t realize the mechanics were different. I’ll go back to the copy and start.

Regards

I’m afraid, using the the regular start command won’t help you with starting new private listings.

eBay removed the support for the private listing flag from the interface GarageSale uses, but it seems eBay is still offering that feature on their website.

I suspect by using the Relist command in GarageSale you found a loophole to start new private listings, because GarageSale only passes the ID of an existing listing to eBay in that case, and eBay copies all the attributes to the new listing in their database without GarageSale’s further involvement.

Seems you are caught in between a rock and a hard place, because department A and department B at eBay are not talking to each other. :man_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.