Restoring GS from Time Machine

At which level in the file structure do I now need to restore from?

This is the Path that Get Info shows:

/Users/davide/Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale9/Data/Library/Application Support/GarageSale

But in fact Containers does not show /com.iwascoding.garagesale9 but three folders called “GarageSale”.
It is obvious which is the latest. Should I remove the other 2 and is this the level I should restore at?

Just checking before I screw up more I have already.

That’s a though question. You can get the real folder name (com.iwascoding.garagesale9) in the Finder from the “Get Info” command, but I’m not sure how you pick the correct one in Time Machine’s Restore interface.

I’d probably remove all 3 “GarageSale” folder temporarily from the “Containers” folder, and then try to restore the most recently modified folder from Time Machine, until the “Get Info” command shows that I got the correct one.

Thanks Ilja

That is what I did because I had to restore anyway with those strange items I mentioned earlier.

Might be with adding this to the Manual because it is quite confusing. (I looked but could not see it there).
Not sure why OSX changes the name.

It is certainly as one would expect at the Unix level

davide@DavidElottsiMac Containers % pwd
/Users/davide/Library/Containers
davide@DavidElottsiMac Containers % ls -ld iwas9
drwx------@ 6 davide staff 192 22 Mar 19:39 com.iwascoding.garagesale9
davide@DavidElottsiMac Containers %

David

1 Like

Those ghost items do not seem to be trying to auto-start any longer, so the issue of them being there is no longer a high priority.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.