Serious issue with memory leak from last update

It is some days my computer is literally slowing down in a terrible way. At first I did not pay much attention, but now it is really really becoming impossible to use. Of course it is a old one, but until last week it was NOT so slow. Today I found where is the matter… the problem you fixed months ago is returned, look… 4,13 GB !!! PLEASE fix it asap or I will need to go back to the previous version…

Leaving GS opened that number increase minutes after minutes exactly as I noticed during beta testing… just to give an idea, after closing GS…

CPU leak…

Also energy leak… don’t know if this is normal or not :disappointed_relieved:

Totally had same problem!

Can you post a “Sample” what Beta 3 is doing when it uses so much resources? So below for instructions.

Also, do use to manually update listing with the “Update all listings” command?

1. Launch GarageSale 7.0.6B3 if you don’t have it already running
  2. Open the Activity Monitor application (under /Application/Utilities)
  3. Select GarageSale from the list of running applications in Activity Monitor
  4. Now do something you are pretty sure that will cause the beachball to come up for several seconds
  5. Chose “View” menu > “Sample Process” (Activity Monitor will probably ask you for an admin password at this point)
  6. Wait while the sample is taken
  7. Save the sample output into a file and send it to us.

@ilja sure I will do asap and post here results

No, GS beta 3 always leaks, I mean, if i open it in the morning and then leave it alone and check in the afternoon, it is surely getting at least 4 GB of memory. While I don’t use it GS works (relistings-messages-new orders) on his own, it does not depend on manual command…

P.S. @ilja I have also some trouble with this forum sometimes it does not allow me to post and a “403 forbidden” error appear in the middle of the screen …

@ilja well this problem causes a general slow motion of the entire computer, so I suppose it is not related to beach balls (I don’t have more beach balls but everything is slow on the mac, not only on GS)… I mean it is the same problem of this GarageSale 7.0 Beta 46 Released - #9 by fedege96

7.0.6 b3 memory leak confirm. easily reaches 2gigs (from about 300mb on start) in 2-3 days. need to restart it periodically.

For me at least 5 GB from morning to evening… try to return to beta2, it seems to work better …

my mac has only 8 gigs of ram, may be this is limiting factor to eat even more :slight_smile:

Well, I am using it on an old iMac with 8 GB, there are not other big app running. On the new one I have 16 GB, still the same problem, very huge leak, other big app like CS5 does not leak so much. Also previous GS version worked better, this must be an issue in the last beta versions…

For @ilja , tried with beta2 and also this version reaches high leaks like 2 GB or more…

What especially worries me is the % of CPU taken from GS. My laptop is literally taking off every time I use GS, maybe it’s normal and I am not use to work on laptop, but it’s worrying especially considering its price :fearful:

Sorry, we can still not re-produce the memory usage problem. Can you please check if the memory situation improves with 7.0.6 Beta 4, which we’ll release shortly.

Are their specific user actions that cause the increase in memory usage?

Also, if you restart the app, write down it’s memory usage, and leave your Mac unattended for an hour or so, does the memory consumption change?

@ilja I will give a try to the next beta.

No, or well, I can only suppose it depends on auto-relisting, and I say this because I noticed that the problem appears also after an entire day that I did not use GS at all but was left open and running… but actually I repeat, I did nothing because I was not using the computer! The only thing I can say GS was doing was relisting and downloading new orders…

When I close the app, the memory goes to zero, then if I open again GS (immediately or after some hours it does not change), GS starts leaking a normal amount (like 200-300 MB, as it was before the issue appeared), but hour after hour the leaks increases with no limits… like every minutes GS adds some leaked memory and does not leave it…

Thanks. We look into the auto-relist feature more closely. Maybe the memory leak is hidden somewhere in there. For the record, what server have you selected for image storage when starting listings? The high amount of leaked memory makes it likely that images are being leaked.

Yours, @ilja . Tell me if you need any other sample process or anything else.

Thanks, but “sample” files and spin dumps won’t help tracking down memory leak. We probably need to add more built-in diagnostics in a coming beta version.

Fine… Thank you!!

I am doing some tries on the last beta4, using reports doubles the leaking (about 1 GB from initial 600 MB after only 1 minute)… during next days I will get a look into activity monitor more often…

@ilja there is one thing I don’t understand. Why the memory is small and the CPU % such a high value? Is it normali? Look screenshots…

Then, I noticed that now GS seems to use less memory, but every time I do bulk selecting (or editing) fans become to work a lot… then I stop working with bulk and so also fans stop working so much…

Loading all the objects from diff and computing their differences takes time.

How many listings do you usually bulk select at one time?

Well, fans do a lot of noise also if I select the folder (inside about 1000 listing), not necessary bulk editing What’s strange is that after selecting fans almost immediately stop working… this problem comes out only with GS…