Com.iwascoding folder on macOS Big Sur (Mac mini M1)

Hi,
does GS use a new com.iwascoding folder in macOS Big Sur? I have been use to move the com.iwascoding folder in order to move my database, but now on my new Mac mini with M1 chip, I see that GS uses a different folder and I have no idea how to move my current database to the new Mac… what I am missing?

Thank you
Federico

GarageSale 9 uses its own database.
Under macOS 10.15 Catalina and earlier it is called com.iwascoding.garagesale9
Under macOS 11 Big Sur and higher the database directory might just be called GarageSale

Regards, Kristian

Hi @kristian,
sorry I didn’t specified it is still 8 version. In the specific, this is the situation:

• my current version on old MacBook Pro is 8.3.6 with macOS 10.12.6 (yes, still Sierra…). This is why, until today, I decided not to update, everything is working fine and I don’t like when updates bring disorder in my workflow, and in the past it happened every time I updated the macOS. The GS work on Sierra has been (almost) perfect until today;
  • since the GS 9 version is out, I purchased a new Mac mini with M1 chip. It’s macOS is Big Sur. It’s time to update;
  • now I need to move the 8.3.6 database to the new Mac mini. So I downloaded version 8.3.6 in the Mac mini, but GS uses a different folder in library simply called “Garagesale”. If I delete it and move the com.iwascoding folder, when I launch GS, it creates a new “Garagesale” and ignore the com.iwascoding one.

So now I don’t know how to move my database from the 8.3.6 version. I might update it to version 8.4, then download 9 version, import 8 database in 9 version (still in the MacBook Pro) and then move the com.iwascoding.garagesale9 folder to the new Mac mini. I am only very worried something might go bad since the very distant macOS versions.
Do you have any tip with that?

Thanks for your help
Federico

Transferring the com.iwascoding.garagesale8 to your other Mac should work like a charm.

If you already use GarageSale 9 on your new Mac, you need to remove the existing GarageSale database from there. If you then start GarageSale 9 it should detect the GS8 database and ask you to import it.

Updating from GarageSale 8.3.6 to the latest version 8.4.1 is a good idea, yes.

Regards, Kristian

Thank you very much Kristian.
My only last question: is there any problem opening a com.iwascoding.garagesale8 database if the actual Mac has macOS Sierra and the new Mac Big Sur?

I will first update to 8.4.1 in my actual Mac, then I will export the com.iwascoding.garagesale8 to the new Mac, download there the 9 version and launch. Is this correct? is there any problem with eBay token in 8.4.1 on Sierra? If I am not wrong, I recall something like that, which is another reason that brought me to not update yet.

I am not aware of any problems.

Sounds good.

No.

Hope this helps,
Kristian

@kristian unfortunately it didn’t work :pensive:

I did exactly what you suggested:

1. updated GS version from 8.3.6 to 8.4.1 in my older Mac
  2. exported the com.iwascoding.garagesale8 folder from older Mac to new one under “application support”
  3. downloaded GS 9 beta 14 in new Mac and launched

Result: it didn’t ask any import, it created two new folders, a new library folder simply called “Garagesale” and com.iwascoding.garagesale9. Please check screens:

1. Before

Schermata 2022-03-25 alle 14.49.18

1. after first GS launch

1. then

Schermata 2022-03-25 alle 14.51.52

What happened?

GarageSale 9 didn’t detect your GS8 database.

Are you sure you put the GarageSale 8 database here?:
Macintosh HD/Users/yourUserName/Library/Containers

Also, can you select “Show path bar” from the Finder’s “View” menu? This makes it easier to see in what directory you are in.

You know FAQ #27, do you? It explains how to transfer the database step by step:

Regards, Kristian

Thank you Kristian for your help. I just discovered that when you invoke “open library folder” from GS help menu, it actually does not open the real com.iwascoding folder, but a sub-folder with the same title. So I wrongly moved it into the subfolder. Now I put it directly in container and everything worked fine! GS 9 launched good and I will do some testing next days. I will especially see if I can work on it with TeamViewer. I will start with work as soon as the out of stock bug will be fixed or a workaround will be found (I mean this Issue with multiple quantity listings and auto relist feature - #15 by ilja ).

Thanks again for help
Federico

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.