Continuing the discussion from [Still doubled orders bug after invoice updated in ebay]

Continuing the discussion from Still doubled orders bug after invoice updated in ebay:

Hi @ilja ,
the old thread closed, is there any news about this bug?
Let me know.

Thank you
Federico

I had some chat with eBay dev support about this issue. The gist is, that there is no easy way to determine when orders were merged into a new order.

The only solution is for GarageSale to check for every item in every new order we download from eBay, if that item is already in part of an existing order in GarageSale, delete that existing order and import the new order.

I’m still thinking about a good way to implement this, which doesn’t introduce performance problems, moves all comments/tags from the deleted order to the new one, and doesn’t accidentally delete wrong orders,

Given the complexity of the solution and the number of users who are complaining about this issue, I’m not even sure, we should go ahead with this change.

I wish eBay just updated a merged order with “merged into”-marker, but it seems I’m out of luck.

1 Like

Hi @ilja ,
this is unfortunately something I didn’t expect. I just don’t understand how it is possible that I am the only one complaining about this issue. Is this just a bug on ebay.it website? If other users are not experiencing this issue, it means that ebay.it is different from other sites. But actually I get the same problem also for orders of sales coming from ebay.de website. So how is it possible??

Instead of checking items numbers, why don’t you check for customers’ usernames? There must be only one unpaid order per username (on each ebay site). I mean, user A must have only 1 unpaid order for ebay.it, 1 for ebay.de and so on and the good ones are those with the most recent date. Might this be a easier solution?

Anyway, this bug is really major. I really don’t understand why none else noticed it… let me know please, this is very important to know if there is no more hope for it…

Thank you
Federico

All my labels and invoices are printed from eBay and the bookkeeping is done from ebay’s reports. When orders are merged ebay assigns a new order number containing the combined orders into a new order number. This new number is what you should be getting to fix this issue. This is how ebay.us does it and it causes my bookkeeping wife issues with data entering and tracking on Quickbooks.
I use GS purely for listing and tracking purposes. I list with GS and watch the “views” and “watchers” and do “end listings” and “starts” with it. When listing new I go through the proper folder and choose a running or sold listing the most like the new item and duplicate it.

My guess that other sellers don’t sell items from different listings to the same seller at the same time that often, so they don’t use the "Combine Order’ feature on the website that much.

When I do combine sales into one ebay assigns a new order number that combines them into one order number

I believe the same is true for @fedege96 . His problems seem to come from the fact that GarageSale still shows the original order from before the merging them, leaving him confused with orders he still needs to fulfill.

Here is another idea: Instead of trying to automatically detect orders merged on the eBay website (with all performance and consistency issue), how about a “Detect Combined Orders” command in the menu of GarageSale.

You you would need to manually invoke the new command after having used the “Combine Orders” feature on the eBay website, and GarageSale would try to do the matching only then.

It would not be as convenient as automatic-detection, but it would drastically reduce the possibility of us causing problems for everyone, since it would probably take a few iterations until the feature works without flaws.

1 Like

Hi @ilja , it sounds as a good workaround. Any trick to avoid hundreds of doubled orders will be anyway better than the actual situation, so I like it! Let me know when it is out so I will update GS and test it.
Thank you for your help.

Federico

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

You might want to have a look at the new “Find Combined Orders” feature introduced in the latest alpha version of the upcoming GarageSale 9.8:

• added ‘Find Combined Orders’ command to the ‘Orders’ menu, that finds orders that have been combined into new orders on the eBay website, and moves those orders into the trash