Do I need to use templates?

I never sell the same thing twice. Do I need to use templates even if I never reuse them? Can I create an auction without starting with a template? If I create a generic template and modify it for each new auction, do those changes affect auctions that were created earlier using that same template?

If it matters, I’m using Garage Sale v6.8 (586) because I’m running Mac OS X v10.7.5.

Thanks.

I have a base template with my handling time and other things that are the same for every listing in a particular category. For example womens jeans is set with some text so that I only have to type in a part of the description & change the measurements. I ship all of them priority padded envelope so I have a preset for the shipping. In the title space it is named WOMENS JEANS TEMPLATE. Then I just copy that, change the title, add the pics, and it’s ready to go. Saves time. For your second question - the templates are stored in your computer not with ebay so if you change your template it doesn’t change an already active listing you have.

In the title space it is named WOMENS JEANS TEMPLATE. Then I just copy that…

You copy the template? So, although you have a base template, you also have another template for every unique item that you sell? That’s what I’ve been doing but for 100 items that I sell, I have 100 templates and 100 auctions. So I’m swimming in templates that I’ll never use again - which seems contrary to the idea of “templates”.

So it seems that I could/should have a base template, modify it for the current item that I’m selling, start the auction, and then modify the same template again for the next item? Any downside to that?

Thanks for your response.

I think in GarageSale 7 they are going to combine them so that you just have an ITEM or LISTING and do away with template / auction. The reason why you might want to keep templates rather then modifying one template, is so that you can revise a a live auction using it’s template, and also so you can relist if the item doesn’t sell. Also handy for listing a bunch of items when they have free listing offers.

I use the blue folders. I keep them closed when I am not using them. One is for templates. The other is for items I have started. Once I list an item I drag the template into the running folder. It will be highlighted yellow. Periodically I open up the blue folder and the ones that are red didn’t sell and I relist. The ones that are blue sold and I delete. You can delete many at once it only takes seconds. The yellow ones are still running.

The reason why you might want to keep templates rather then modifying one template, is so that you can revise a a live auction using it’s template

This is exactly what I’m worried about and the reason that I asked the original question. If, as Deana says, “if you change your template it doesn’t change an already active listing you have” … how does that square with you saying that revising a template can affect a live auction??

If I’m going to modify a template, I want to know for sure whether that action is going to affect current auctions.

Thanks.

You would modify the template, THEN go to INSPECTOR WINDOW > AUCTIONS, and hit REVISE. This is also where you would relist.

OK, thanks for your help.