Drop (and Copy & Paste) eBay Category Breadcrumb Navigation Text or URL Into GS to Set Category

I typically place GS on one screen and use a browser of the other screen to research categories and items.

If you navigate to a item listed on eBay a cookie crumb navigation bar will be shown at the top.

Pottery & Glass > Pottery & China > Art Pottery > Brush/Brush-McCoy

Clicking on Brush/Brush-McCoy takes you to:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Brush-Brush-McCoy-Art-Pottery/18895/bn_16562162

It would be nice to drag or copy and paste the breadcrumb navigation bar (Pottery & Glass > Pottery & China > Art Pottery > Brush/Brush-McCoy) or its URL (https://www.ebay.com/b/Brush-Brush-McCoy-Art-Pottery/18895/bn_16562162) into the category fields in GS to autmatically set those.

This would be faster than searching, especially for categories that often share the same words - you are left visually scanning through the search results. This would be faster than trying to manuualy navigate to the same category within GS.

What already works is to enter (copy/paste) the eBay category ID into the search field of GarageSale’s category browser window:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-09 um 16.38.59

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-09 um 16.40.22

1 Like

Great tip! I didn’t know this was possible.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, but that is much slower than what I proposed.

Currently GS requires you to visually scan the browser address field, insert your mouse cursor into the browser address field at the right point, select all of the correct text, copy it, click on the category link in GS, insert your mouse into the search field and then paste.

I simply want to insert my mouse cursor into the browser address field and drag the entire URL into GS’s category field from the browser without opening the category search popup at all. Alternatively copy the entire URL and paste it into the search field. GS then can parse the URL and extract the category ID and set it.

Currently when you drag a URL to the category field it changes to blue upon hovering your mouse over it. That would suggest this control accepts a drop event but simply lacks the code to parse the dropped text and set the category.

Here is an Applescript that you can compile into a app to place on the edge of your screen. Copy the category URL from your browser and doubleclick Applescript and then paste extracted category ID into GS. Simply dragging from the browser into GS would be much faster as GS would be parsing the text instead of a Applescript.

set theURL to the clipboard

set AppleScript’s text item delimiters to “/”

set theTextItems to text items of theURL

set AppleScript’s text item delimiters to {“”}

set the IsURL to offset of “/” in theURL

if IsURL > 1 then

set theCount to count text items of theTextItems

set theItem to item (theCount - 1) of theTextItems

get the clipboard

set the clipboard to theItem

end if

Here is a crude mockup of some small clipboard icons places next to each category.

Copy & Pasting URL (Second Fastest):

1. Select URL in browser & copy it to the clipboard.
  2. Click icon next to the category and GS gets the URL from the clipboard, parses it and sets the category.

Drag & Drop (Fastest):

1. Select URL and drop it on category in GS.
  2. GS parses the dropped URL and sets the category.

Current Method (Slowest):

1. Select only the category ID from the URL and copy it.
  2. Click on Category.
  3. Paste it in.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 3.22.39 PM

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.