Ebay account deleted

Hello,

I am a new user of GarageSale and I really like it. It’s very similar to the iSale I was using about 15 years ago.

I have an established ebay account that I will be using again to sell books. So, for my new kitchenware items, I opened a new account and started using GarageSale with the new account.

After 1 day and 1 sale, that new account was suspended. The help page would not allow me to actually chat with someone and the email regarding the suspension provided no way to get help. So, I contacted them with my old account and got everything fixed. The rep said he cannot tell me what I did to cause the suspension-that they have found out by letting people know, then the bad actors will work around it.

Well, I relisted my items, bought GarageSale, and listed a few more. I sold 1 item and then around three hours ago, my account was suspended again. Again, no help via that account, so I chatted with a rep on the old account.

He told me for the safety of the community, that account is closed, it cannot be appealed, and that decision is final. He also would not tell me what I did wrong, but he gave me two links to pages that discuss selling. He left me to sleuth out what I did wrong. I read the pages, I cannot see what I did wrong.

I can only think that it is something I did with GarageSale, but again, since they won’t tell me what I did wrong, I don’t know how to fix it. Has anyone heard of anything happening like this?

Thanks!

What were you trying to sell?

It sounds as if you listed a prohibited item.

Some kitchenware has been recalled, and cannot be sold.

Yes, Etsy deleted a listing I had of a Corning Ware percolator that had been recalled in the 1970s. I was selling Corelle plates on this eBay account. I’d like to think that if it WERE because of that, they would have told me.

I read in these forums that there can sometimes be an issue of duplicated listings when using GarageSale. I brought that up to the rep, but he wouldn’t say.

Thanks!

Well yes, then if you re-listed items that had been cancelled due to safety or other rules violations, eBay will immediately close the account for violations of the rules. The messages they sent when the original listings were cancelled (which, admittedly, might not arrive for several days) should have explained that in complete detail.

You should read the prohibited items rules more carefully before proceeding. Nothing to do with GarageSale here.

Duplicate listings don’t cause cancellation of your account, just 2 warnings and then just a 1 week suspension for the third infraction. They are Nazis on this but they give ample warnings and another ebay member has to report you. I would look at listing the recalled items as the culprit.

@Vaguery @rlmartin Thank you for the information.

I really don’t think the items I had listed are recalled. I see them listed for sale now on ebay. They are just Corelle plates:

Here are the listings we removed:
363061836464 - 4 Corelle Dinner Plates, Winter Frost White
363061837511 - 4 Corelle Appetizer Plates, Garden Lace
363061950115 - 2 Corelle Appetizer Trays, Winter Frost White
363063084843 - 4 Corelle Appetizer Plates, Winter Frost White

And this is the beginning of the email from them:

After reviewing your eBay account, we’ve noted several concerns with your recent activity that pose a unacceptable risk to our community. As a result, we’ve taken the following action on your account:

• Your eBay account has been suspended.
  • Item listings have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email.

I’ll chat with them today on my established account. I would think that if I were selling recalled items, they would tell me like Etsy did so that I wouldn’t do it again. It is hard to know what I did wrong if I can’t look at the listings now that the account is suspended/cancelled. I’ve read the policies that the the rep provided here: Selling practices policy | eBay and I really don’t see the issue. I’m not new to selling online, so this had just been very very frustrating.

Thank you for your help!

Okay. I just chatted with a rep. After a lot of going back and forth, she said I can open a new account and I can sell the Corelle, I cannot use the same email address, and “Please make sure that when you list the item all details are correct.”

I can only think that some of the fields on GarageSale I didn’t fill correctly because I know how to list on the site. Oh, well. I think I’ll just stick to their website and not use GarageSale.

Thanks again for everybody’s help!

I’m surprised that you were able to post items on eBay with a new account at all. I thought there was a minimum of of sales required before an account was allowed to use third-party API tools such as GarageSale.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.