Exporting a large number of items

What is the maximum number of items I can export. If I select CTRL A GS responds that 11,669 is too many according to GS. Could this be related to the search failures I am experiencing?

David

No answer yet after 7 days so I guess I will just after keep it alive by replying to myself.
David

Hi,

as far as I can tell, GarageSale has no limitation how many listings can be imported. Maybe this is a limitation from the file system? Can you male a screenshot of the error?

Do you export the listings in a single file or into one file?

Why don’t you try to export the files in batches of e.g. 2000?

Thanks,
Paul

Overseas at the moment but will check once back home.
David

Here with screen shot
Running the latest version 7.0.8b2 (797)

David

Hi,

this has nothing to do with the export functionality. This is just a limitation how many items can be edited at once. Some machines of our customers are just too weak to allow editing as many listings as you want at once.

So you should be able to select File -> Export Listings… when you have selected all these items.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul

If you look at previous posts from me you will see that the system just hangs when trying to do this. In fact it hung after taking this snapshot.

David

Hi Paul

In one of your earlier comments, you said that ‘Do you export the listings in a single file or into one file?’.

I exported 271 items but this just creates a unix directory:
/Users/davide/Documents/Exported listings.gslisting

with a further 271 directories and 271 files as below.

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 davide staff 102 2 May 08:15 listing_00029.images
-rw-r–r--@ 1 davide staff 19763 2 May 08:14 listing_00029.json
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 davide staff 102 2 May 08:14 listing_00030.images
-rw-r–r--@ 1 davide staff 19763 2 May 08:14 listing_00030.json
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 davide staff 102 2 May 08:14 listing_00031.images
-rw-r–r--@ 1 davide staff 19764 2 May 08:14 listing_00031.json

Saving to a single file would sure help me examine the structure better although the size of the file might be a bit frightening unless the images can be excluded.

David

Hi David,

so it seems that this is not a general limitation of GarageSale. This is a limitation of your mac’s performance or a bug that causes GarageSale to turn around in circles when exporting the items.

You can try to export the items one by one. Or you can try to export the first half, then the second half of the items. Then see whether any specific item is causing the bug.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi,

GarageSale 7 always export the listings into file bundles. My question was whether you export the listing into a single bundle or into multiple bundles.

Thanks,
Paul

Like I said, 12,000 items creates a minimum of 25,000 files. Probably more like 50,000 with most items having multiple images.

Not sure I can cope with that. It would be nice to eliminate duplicates first but considering smart groups do not work properly I do not know how to do this. Any suggestions?
David

Hi David,

as you have issues that we can not reproduce here, maybe it is the best if you can upload your whole database so that we can have a look? How big is your database (with images)? Do you have DropBox or any other webspace that fits?

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for your help Paul.

I think before i bother you with this database I might try resorting all of my listings. i.e. remove the groups, re-sort, remove duplicates and then re-group. There are probably many 100s of duplicates. It is just finding them.

The Smart Groups would remove many of the needs for normal groups if they in fact worked correctly. Any progress on this?

David

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.