GarageSale 7 Beta 16 spontaneously crashing

I just installed the latest beta version of Garage Sale 7 beta 16 and the program has been very frustrating, crashing every few minutes even when it is sitting idle, it just crashed now as I was creating this post. any suggestions?

Thanks for sending in your crash reports. I see what’s causing the problem. Give me 20 minutes or so, an I hopefully will have your problem fixed.

Weird.

I’ve been using it heavily today; I have not a had a single issue.

Just a thought

What version of OS X are you using?

For beta 16 we were enforcing some internal consistency checks. It seems as a side-effect, GarageSale crashed when it found an inconsistency in the database that wasn’t very critical. This release should behave better for you:

http://downloads.iwascoding.com/downloads/GarageSale_7_2016-03-12.zip

how do I go back to an older beta version, just install it as per normal?

Yes, but it’s better to use the version from the link I just posted.

so beta 12 is OK, just launch it and it will detect that I have already paid for version 7?

The version I posted is nearly identical to beta 16. It has nothing to do with beta 12. “2016-03-12” refers to today’s date. You can just remove your original beta 16 and replace with the one from the link I posted.

I understand, so just copy it to Applications and let it replace it? It will keep all my settings etc? Sorry this has just been a frustrating afternoon, lucky to get one listing created before crashing

Yes. If you want to be super-safe, duplicate the folder Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale7 in your home directory before running.

I guess I will invite myself to download this version just to be safe, too. :smile:

Thank you.

@rws762 I’m using OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 (I believe this is the latest).

I haven’t gone to El Capitan yet, is it good? How long to install? I have a 2011 imac

Just wanted to give you an update, it appears the new version you sent is more stable I have been able to create listings without crashing, although it does freeze occasionally (I usually wait and let the beach ball stop spinning before proceeding). I have a question: we sell clothes and have saved many of our old template listings in case we ever got that same item again. I have been trying to delete some of the older ones that I realize we will never need. Does the size of the database affect any aspects of the program, such as the freezing, etc? I am running 2011 iMac, 2.8ghz core i7, 16G ram. Thanks.

The size of the database does affect the performance of the application, but in theory this should be hardly noticeable. Since all database lookups are done through pre-computed indexes, every tenfold increase in database size should only make lookups about 30% slower. So deleting a few old listing won’t make a huge difference. However, if you have a lot of incoming orders, inserting those into the database might be an issue.

Therefore it would be interesting to know why you experiencing those hangs or freezes. Here is how you can help us find out:

1. Launch GarageSale if you don’t have it already running
  2. Open the Activity Monitor application (under /Application/Utilities)
  3. Select GarageSale from the list of running applications in Activity Monitor
  4. Chose “View” menu > “Run Spindump” (Activity Monitor will probably ask you for an admin password at this point)
  5. Continue using GarageSale normally
  6. After you experienced a couple of hangs, return to Activity Monitor, save the spin dump log, and send it to me

Every time you see the beachball cursor, what methods GarageSale spends its time in is written to the log file. With that log we can figure out if its indeed the database that slowing GarageSale done, or something else like Thumbnail generation, Category data parsing, inserting new eBay orders or messages into the database.

Here is a spin dump:

Thanks,

Lance