GarageSale 8 Public Beta

Already did, it did not work. I am not sure which transaction ID is the one with the design, but I have all the emails from GS kept in my mail, so I tried all the IDs I have, and nothing happened.

I just sent you a direct message.

Regards, Kristian

Never pleased to have to pay more for an online service but, since I use only Macs and list in excess of 1000 new listings per month, I shall bite the bullet. However, I have two questions :-

(1) Are you introducing a ‘Watermark’ option - if not, why not?

(2) Is the user still limited to 20 images per listing? Reversion to the old unlimited number of images would be great.

P. S. I really like the opportunity to print customisable shipping labels!

Watermarks were outlawed a while by eBay. I assume, because eBay want’s to use your images in the product catalog (which makes no sense for used, one-of-a kind items).

20 is already quite a lot. eBay’s image server only allows 10, if I’m not mistaken. How much would you need?

ebay still allow watermarks, assuming they do not offer business or contact details. My images are of Vintage postcards and photographs of which ebay has no interest.

Frequently, I sell vintage photograph albums of thirty to one hundred pages. I understand I can use an FTP but I am not that computer literate. I spend much of my day trying to make a living and never find time explore the potential of my Macs.

Does pricing for GS8 include GTC image hosting?

Strange, a few years back we were told by eBay to remove any watermarking features from our software. We only included the EPS watermarking checkbox at that time. We’ll have to investigate what the current rules are.

Hundred might be a little much, but increasing to 50 should be doable.

Yes, the GS Pro subscription includes to old GTC image hosting.

1 Like

In the USA, eBay Picture Service EPS allows a maximum of 12 images.

Neal

Ilja,

50 images would be a great help.

Better news on GTC being included in the new subscription.

Thanks.

Are you sure this is still allowed? On this eBay page they say:

Don’t add text or artwork.

No text or artwork, like “Free Shipping” or seller logos, may be added to photos. Use the title, subtitle, and description box to include details of your item.

Regards, Kristian

@kristian @ilja I literally went mad for watermark matter since I do sell photos and postcards (as you probably remember from that period over the forum, I was quite disappointed…), I went deep in this matter and yes, now eBay partially allows watermarks, but it says that watermarked listings are not indexed in external search engine. Don’t ask me how they could find the watermarked ones (they don’t, actually… it’s just to scare users from using the watermark), this was the solutions they gave us after months and months of thousands complaints. I do use watermark on my own and I advice @ntm to do the same. An external watermark app is the best solution from my point of view. Just drag and drop thousands scans and they are put in a separated folder watermarked.

Watermarks were officially banned by eBay a while ago, as one of the steps required to achieve a bigger goal: catalogue based listings, similar to what amazon does. For that, eBay wanted to force all sellers to accept that any image uploaded to their servers could be used by eBay as potential default image for an item in the catalogue. For that, images with watermarks would have been useless (for eBay).

The attempt to grab the right to use any image from any seller caused a big turmoil (at least in Germany), with many sellers seeing themselves unable to either want to give these rights to eBay (count me in here) or simply unable to do so, because they used copyrighted images from manufacturers, which they had the right to use for their own listings, but definitely not the right to sublicense them to eBay.

In the end, eBay hat to give up the idea. The strict rules regarding watermarks are officially still in place, but at least eBay Germany does not enforce them. Many sellers in the market area that I sell in still or again use watermarked images.

While individual sellers might get away with using watermark images, eBay probably wouldn’t like official tools like GarageSale to bring back that option. We know that we are on eBay’s radar, and we depend on good relations with them, so bringing that option back would be to risky.

For people needing watermarks, I suggest to look for a batch watermark app for Mac, and use that before importing images into GarageSale.

I totally agree @ilja , as I said in my previous message, I suggest @ntm to use an external app for watermark. Moreover, it gives you the possibility to manage more details and functionalities with watermark. Watermark is something necessary for photos and postcards sales. eBay just made decisions for all without having the minimal idea of what it could create between sellers…

I believe you’re right about the eBay Picture Service limit of 12 in the U.S., but I’m not aware of a minimum of 3. I put listings up all the time with only 2 photos and I see many listings from others with only 1 photo.

I do use a watermark app but was thinking that if one was built into GS it would save me a little extra time each week (however, it is not a huge hassle for me).

Oh. OOPS! Sorry. Not sure where I came up with that!! :frowning: “You must include a minimum of one image per product.” I THINK they “recommend” a minimum of 3 photos when creating a new listing online.

Neal

I use EasyBatchPhoto for watermarks, and I have for close to 7 years now.

I got it for its batch resizing (so I could lower the resolutions as well as the sizes of eBay and other pictures). But it has a watermark feature which works with no problems ever which I use most of the time.

You simply set the opaqueness and position for the watermark, and then check the box whenever you want what you’re working on marked.

I always keep it on. Available in the Apple store.

I use visual watermark, it’s a very immediate app, drag and drop in a sort of “watermark template” and it puts out all watermarked (and if you want also resized) photos almost immediately. This is a very little time spare compared to photographing and editing…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.