GarageSale no longer loads

My GS experience is getting worse. Had a number of power outages over a couple of hours which seemed to corrupt my Mac.

I restored from the latest known good backup. Everything is OK except GS.

The following message appears every time I try to open GS.

I have tried restoring from multiple backup as far back as a week but the same message appears.

I have tried different versions of GS but the same response.

HELP URGENTLY NEEDED

Did a restore from a week ago and get the same error message on launch of GS

That sounds very odd.

Are you sure you are restoring the complete GarageSale folder, and not only select files inside the Garagesale.leveldb folder?

It sounds very unlikely that the corruption from the power outage has traveled back in time and also effected your backups.

Have you checked if you hard drives file system has become corrupt with First Aid command in Apple’s Disk utility.

Are you sure you are restoring the complete GarageSale folder, and not only select files inside the Garagesale.leveldb folder?

Have done a complete system restore from backup and the whole container folder.

It sounds very unlikely that the corruption from the power outage has traveled back in time and also effected your backups.

I agree.

Have you checked if you hard drives file system has become corrupt with First Aid command in Apple’s Disk utility.

Checked both boot and external disks - no issues found.

Can I send you the DB again?

Some more information for you.

I did a complete system restore from 2 days prior to the crash: (16th Dec).
Everything has loaded correctly except GarageSale which still cannot get past those error messages:

The only instance of this missing file on my backup disk was on the backup instance of 4 December.

This was within a day of me opening up the GS query

on Spurious Records and this error message which was never resolved or explained by GS Help

Please advise my next step ASAP

Regards David

Sorry, if there are parts missing from the database, there is not much we can do. I have a copy of your GarageSale.leveldb that you sent me a while back, but it’s probably missing a good chunk of your recent listings. Couldn’t you download that copy from Dropbox?

I will do Ilya

Please send the link again.

Regards David

| ilja
December 23 |

• | - |

Sorry, if there are parts missing from the database, there is not much we can do. I have a copy of your GarageSale.leveldb that you sent me a while back, but it’s probably missing a good chunk of your recent listings. Couldn’t you download that copy from Dropbox?

Hi Ilja

Thought I would try and trick the DB by copying a good file to all the 1500 missing files:

#!/bin/bash
oldfile=$1 #$1= command line arg
ext=".ldb"
goodfile=“4288180.ldb”
for num in {1…300}
do
oldfile=$(( $oldfile + 1 ))
newfile="$oldfile$ext"
cp ${goodfile} ${newfile}
done

Well my script worked but, not surprisingly, GS crashed whilst trying to re-index on startup.
Oh well. Worth a crack I guess.

What now?

David

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.