GS rejecting listings despite high resolutions

Any idea what is happening with this warning message? I’ve seen the same issue raised on GarageSale before but without any resolution.

I have had five listings rejected by eBay/GS because of this today, despite the pixel counts being in their 1000’s. Not sure how to get around this…

What resolution are you using?

Sometimes errors like these are caused by non-standard resolutions used by some image processing software.

Can you export such a listing, so we can have look?

Example listing attached. The resolution of the images are 883 pixels x 1334 pixels and 874 pixels x 1337 pixels.

Thanks, Nick

Hmmm. I’ve just seen that I can’t load the .gslisting file to this thread. It will only upload the images (although says that .gslisting files are acceptable).

Not sure what’s happening here! I can send the .gslisting file via email, if easier?

Just compress (zip) the exported listing before posting it here.

Also, you can simply check the size of your images in e.g. GarageSale’s Editor mode. There just right-click on each image. At the bottom of the context menu the image size of the selected image is displayed. The size shouldn’t be below 500px.

What image service do you have selected in the GarageSale preferences > eBay > eBay Images?

OK, here’s the zip file.

I’m uploading using eBay’s picture service. 95% of my listings are loaded hassle free, so I’ve no idea why a few are getting rejected…
Venezuela 1960 BOAC London Bogota First Flight Cover plus insert 1.gslisting.zip (801.4 KB)

For some reason both images in this listings are too small. Please see the attached screenshot:

I guess it has to do with the dpi of the images. They have a dpi of 200.

Before adding your original images to GarageSale, is there any chance you can convert them to standard 72dpi?

Thanks Kristian.

I’m confused. Why is the size of the image smaller in GS than it is when viewing in Preview? See image below:

I scanned the item at 200dpi to keep the file size down to a reasonable 520kb. What’s the benefit of dropping the resolution to 72dpi. Isn’t that just going to provide a poorer quality image?

Thanks.

Every now and then I get that warning on a photo of a logo that I attach to every listing that is 1133 x 1172. I remove it and start the listing and then I do a revise and add the photo and it goes fine. The logo photo also goes fine on relists and doesn’t get rejected

Does eBay just look at the pixel height and width and not take into account the dpi?

If you resized the file without resampling it, a 200 dpi file at 883 x 1334 resized to 100 dpi would be 1766 x 2668. It would be the same file, but maybe handled differently by eBay?

Thank you. I have a short list of work arounds such as resizing (but losing resolution), taking a camera image rather than a scanned image and trying loading directly to eBay.

All of which might do the trick. But I’m still trying to puzzle out why it happens in the first place so to avoid the hassle in the future.

I’m on vacation right now, otherwise I would play around with it; I’ll mess around when I get back. May I ask what you’re using to squire and edit images? I’m a longtime graphics professional so this stuff always interests me.

Thank you flypogger. In this instance there was no editing. The image is straight from the scan.

What software are you using to scan?

We are testing a fix that will change the resolution attribute of your images to 72dpi when first importing them into GarageSale. That seems good enough to get past eBay’s faulty image size check.

If we don’t encounter any errors in testing, it should be included in the next GS 9.3 Beta version.

1 Like

It’s a Canon Lide. Unsure of the specific software it uses.

Sounds promising, thanks. If the dpi reduces to 72, will that reduce the image quality? Or does the quality remain, provided the original image was taken at a higher rate? I usually use 400-600dpi.

Yes, the pixel information will stay exactly the same. Just the ‘dpi’ metadata attribute of the image, which tells the screen or printer how many pixels to put into a single inch, will be changed.