GS7 Search does not work on my database

Running: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

GarageSale 77.0.15 (837)

This issue has been going on for over a year and I have decided that I must get on top of it because it is severely slowing sown my workflow.

When I perform a search for an item with groups “contacted”, I highlight, on the lhs, the item(s) which I want from the list the search provided then close the search window. The item(s) highlighted is/are now no longer visible in the left hand pane. ie. The Groups have have not been expanded to show the selected items.

I have repaired and rebuilt a number of times but to no avail.

I will need you guys to look at my database I think. How do I submit it to you?

Or do you want to look at log files?

David

Hi David,

GarageSale has a repair mode implemented. Maybe it already helps. Please follow these steps to enable it:

1. Start GarageSale and immediately click and hold down the ctrl-key.
  2. A small window should appear allowing you to enable “Find orphaned listings”, “Auto-repair corrupt database” and “Rebuilt indexes”.
  3. Select these three checkboxes and hit Continue.
  4. Give it some time.

Regards, Kristian

Any chance you can sent a screen video of that bug?

I will do that Ilya but first I need to sort out after doing the rebuild as suggested bu Kristian.

I now have a Lost & Found Folder with 18,000+ listings in it. Basically a duplicate of my whole database in one group. What does it mean? And what do I now have to do?

David

Hi guys. I want to work on my DB today but I need to sort out this Lost & Found group first with 18000+ items in it. Can someone point me to any notes about its purpose? Thanks. David.

What happens if you use the search now? Does it find the listing and is it still highlighted after “closing” the search?
And if it is, where is that listing located? In the Lost & Found group?

Regards, Kristian

Yes. If I search for a certain item, it is now in Lost & Found and the search function opens up that folder if the item is selected in the search results.

What is my next step?

David

What do I do now? I want to use the application. Are those in Lost and Found the the only items I should use?

I can’t tell for sure, unfortunately, maybe @ilja better knows what to do here.

However, how about keep working with the items in the Lost&Found folder for now if they look fine for you and can be found by GarageSale?
You could put all other listings into a new group “Archive” and keep them for now as a backup and maybe delete them at a later time in the future.

Regards, Kristian

Hi Kristin

It is less the bug and more what do I do at the moment to keep my auctions moviving after running all those repair tasks. I have 18000 items in the Lost & Found folder. What does this mean!?

Regards David

Sure I can do this Kristin but the 18000 items were in block according to what they were and these blocks were groups.

Ie group hierarchy for an item might read

templates/cigarette cards/wills/aust scenic series (downwards of. 50 it ems here)

The loss of groupings is a disaster with 18000 items.

David

Regards David

I assume that at some point, your listing hierarchy become corrupted. That means your items where still in the database, but weren’t displayed. Hence, search did find these items, but when you left the search mode, GarageSale couldn’t select the listing outside of search mode anymore.

Does that number sound correct? 18,000 listings sounds like quite a lot for me. Unless these listings aren’t duplicated of other listing, my best guess is to put them into some meaningful folder structure. Would a function that puts them into folder according to their primary category help?

Thanks Ilja. 18000 is correct. I think it is a manual job but thanks for the offer. Probably start with groups A to Z then narrow it down from that point.

Fixed it I think.
My hierarchy had become Listings/My Templates/My Group…

Shifting everything to Listings//My Group… works

I can now search again. Maybe you guys can offer an explanation.

A very happy David

Probably an operation that involved the common parent folder of the recovered listings failed (database write failure?), so that parent folder got disconnected from root of your listing hierarchy. The folder was still in the database, so the contained listings could still be revealed through search, but they not accessible when traversing the hierarchy.

Unfortunately our repair command just places all listings that aren’t accessible from the root in the Lost and Found folder, instead of trying to recover the in-between hierarchy. Not sure if that’s easily fixable.

Not too worried now. I have a really good work around and that is fine for now. Maybe it will all get sorted in V8 which is due……?

David

It’s done when it’s done. :wink:

I get back from overseas in late October. That would be a great date … when it’s done. Lol.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.