Help! My "Solution" Caused More Problems Than Ever@

I’m probably more tired of me having to post here then all of you are.

I think I did something monumentally stupid. Hopefully it was just plain old stupid.

I was having horrible problems with GarageSale lately. I couldn’t change designs,

Then I discovered that the PROPERTIES panel – which contain DESIGN PROPERTIES and USER PROPERTIES were completely blank on every one of my listings!

I finally got the bright idea to delete my copy of GarageSale and just download another copy, and whatever that corruption was would be gone, and I could redo each one manually, using my old listings to do so.

So I did that, and when I opened it up, it had no listings. So I tried to find my listings, but I cannot!

I’m afraid that when I deleted the old GS, it deleted everything else with it.

I need help, but I don’t even know where to start. Help!

Your database file is in

/Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale

Hopefully you have a backup which you can restore to this location.

David

You might also want to try the following if your database shows signs of corruption (too late for this instance I guess).

Holding the CTRL key down, open GS

34%20am

These are your options. BUT be patient.

David

Oh! Backups! Thank you! I’ve been so distraught for the past few days, I had’t remembered backups!

One strange thing: I don’t seem to have a folder called Containers. When I use the GO utility in Finder, it stops at /Library/. I do, however, have a few folders called com.iwascoding.garagesale.

There are lots of important files in Containers should it should be there. If it isn’t it could be that it is hidden.

Ok. I unhid all files. Went back to the original /Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale and got nowhere. But when I searched my entire computer [unhidden), I found four of them, all I my backups. but the newest one was backed up in 2017.

I give up. I’m going to manually re-enter all my listings. My stomach is not taking all this stress well. Thank you for your help.

Oh dear. Maybe a thumb drive is an easy solution for you. Assuming to don.’t use time machine?

Regards David
0404 499 979

@Michelle it sounds you deleted both application and com.iwascoding folder. This is a problem if you don’t have a back up… simple question (but why don’t try?): are you sure that you just didn’t move the com.iwascoding folder into the bin?? If it’s there, just drag and drop to the original place, but be very careful when you touch that folder. GS must be closed (cmd+q) and don’t touch anything inside!

@fedege96 @davidelliott Thank you both so much.

Here’s the short version of why I am where I am and why I have written 90% of the questions in the last couple of weeks.

Just before Christmas, my hard drive made a horrible sound and then just died.

I have Applecare, so we made the 200-mile trek to the nearest Genius Bar, where they gave me the bad news and then installed a new one — twice as large — for free.

All I had to do was download the backup from either Carbonite or Time Machine. So, home again, home again, jiggedy-jig.

For some reason I will never understand, Time Machine, while it certainly was backing up to my external drive, was not allowing RESTORE at all. That button was greyed out.

Called Apple, wasted hours in the next three days, using only my iPad for work, which sucked. Second Tier said he would research and get back to me. Eventually he did, and he said he’d talked to “our engineers” and they can’t figure out why that’s happening. That was the end of that.

So, off to Carbonite I went, thankful that I had not one, but TWO backup systems! Literally took 6 days to download everything — rural Maine internet connections are notoriously clogged and slow. But I at least knew it was working.

It finished just after New Years. But instead of putting anything back where it came from — which I still insist they used to claim — Carbonite put every single thing in iCloud and put an alias to every single thing on my desktop. But “every single thing” does not mean “every single thing” to Carbonite. Although I marked every single thing for back up, they did not back up all of any folder. So I got parts of this and parts of that.

Including GarageSale.

I believe this is how I ended up with no /Library/Container/ path, though I have no idea how important that is.

Then nothing happened with my computer because my legs stopped working, and I ended up having spinal surgery and acquiring my very own neurosurgeon. I was relieved not to have to worry about the computer for a time. Then I had to face the fact that I needed to fix GarageSale if nothing else, because I have 5 clients who are going to be calling soon about why there’ve been no sales.

I made things worse, I think, by importing from eBay. That may be why the PROPERTIES panel of all of my listings. That works fine. Sort of. But it’s not right.

So I deleted GarageSale, and when my Dr. Cleaner Pro asked me did I want to do a “deep uninstall,” I hit YES out of habit, because this is the first time in my life when I didn’t want a deep uninstall. I think that’s when I lost the listings (and God knows what else.)

I immediately checked the trash, but nothing. My guess is that it was too big for the trash and did one of those immediate bypasses to end up in the ethernet.

I don’t think that there is any way to undo the part from the YES until the deep uninstall, which makes me miss Microsoft, but that’s another story.

Anyway, back to the info:

A search on GarageSale yields more than 30 folders/files. Problem is, the most recent of all of the com.iwascoding.garagesale folders was updated in late January.

I suppose that would actually suffice and be a decent place to start from, but I don’t know if it would actually work or where to put the folder, since my computer is so strangely structured.

I guess I might back everything up manually to one of the external drives, format the disk — or whatever it’s called in AppleLand — reinstall all my programs and then put everything where it belongs, but given the short history here, I am afraid I’d REALLY mess things up!

In any event, I wanted to explain that I’m not really an idiot, and I get no huge pleasure from posting questions.

I just got myself in a jam and made it worse trying to fix it. Several times over.

Thank you for reading all this, if indeed you did, and I do hope I’ve explained my situation well enough that you understand why I have posted so many dumb questions here.

It’s not there. I expand that information in the very long message above this one, but it’s awfully long, and I don’t expect you to read through the whole thing, though you might.

From that missive:

So I deleted GarageSale, and when my Dr. Cleaner Pro asked me did I want to do a “deep uninstall,” I hit YES out of habit, because this is the first time in my life when I didn’t want a deep uninstall. I think that’s when I lost the listings (and God knows what else.)

I immediately checked the trash, but nothing. My guess is that it was too big for the trash and did one of those immediate bypasses to end up in the ethernet.

I don’t think that there is any way to undo the part from the YES until the deep uninstall, which makes me miss Microsoft, but that’s another story.

Yes I read all and I sorted out that the situation is worse than I expected! The thing of blank button to recover backup from Time Machine is really strange. If it weren’t too late I would suggest you to do some tries before giving up with restore from time machine. Otherwise I would suggest some other (very expensive) solution to recover datas from broken HD, but it’s too late so… let’s get the situation as it is now.
Well there is one thing I didn’t understand: after the recover from Carbonite, was GS empty of listings? If yes, I suppose that’s why you did the listings download from eBat, and yes, I suppose all the mess you met was due to that. Like the blank properties. Did you try to create a new listing? Does it have blank properties or does it work good?
Apart this, I don’t think there are many options to get back the data if you don’t have an intact backup, but I am not from GS team so take it with a grain of salt, the situation is not easily fixable from my point of view…

Oh, believe me, I will be doing that!

[quote]
Well there is one thing I didn’t understand: after the recover from Carbonite, was GS empty of listings?[/quote]

Some, but not all. I had the majority of them. The same is true of most of the other apps on the computer. When I called in to try to fix it, Carbonite support said that I had checked the BACKUP on some but not all. I mentioned that such a thing was not possible, but she said it was, and I figured that it was going to be a fight, and she wasn’t going to be helpful. Further, the backups for that day were the only ones available, so it didn’t matter anyhow, since the files that might fix all my problem were gone.

That is horrible, Michelle. Looks like you did everything correctly but Carbonite let you down. Remind me never to use it.

So what is your current sGS status?

PS. Whenever I have dine an import from Ebay all my images see screwed up so I have given that a way as well.

Good luck.

David

Next on eBay: Manually re-create the listings.

Also pray that the Store Name / Categories problem gets cleared up.

Next on my computer: Not sure, but I am definitely considering wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS.

I’ve been entirely unable to figure out where GarageSale is currently saving its listings, which makes me very uncomfortable.

Make a couple of edit changes GS, then close it

Search your mac for all instances of com.iwascoding.garagesaleX (7 or 8)

Hopefully there is only the one. If not see which one has been modified most recently.

David

My computer recognizes only one com.iwascoding.garagesale7 as being recent, but it makes no sense at all to me.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.