How long will Version 7 be usable?

I’m not sure where this idea that we are getting right on selling GarageSale is coming from?

I think your idea about the size of our company (3 people) and the number of active GarageSale users (~3000, ~10% with more than 50+ listings) might be a little bit off.

We’ve been only able to keep the company alive because we have been contracting for client projects during the day, and working on GarageSale during at night, weekends and when there was no project work available.

Yes, it is true that we’d earn more from subscription users, but even if all GS7 users with more than 50 listing/months would sign up for GS Pro, we’d still not getting rich. It would just make us less dependent on contracting jobs, and allow us to work less at nights.

Has it ever occurred that we are a small business as well? :man_shrugging:

If you cannot tolerate people with different opinions without insulting those people, maybe this user forum is not the right place for you.

3 Likes

3 people??? I am a one man operation. I didn’t presume that you had a thousand employees. But 3 is quite a lot considering. You may be able to accurately dispute the term “getting rich”, but you are playing on words. You know that this change will increase the income of the company several times over. The exact numbers of course, only you have.

And I didn’t insult him. I simply asked him a question. That’s what the question mark at the end of the sentence means. And I am missing the part where you chastise him for saying “undoubtedly one of the senseless thing I ever read on this forum.” But of course since he’s one of yours, you’re ok with it. Just know this said and done. You have lost a customer with me over this. A VERY long term customer. I have been using GS almost since the beginning.

Keep in mind that you are speaking to someone who has helped your company get to the point it is now. Without people like me, your company wouldn’t have survived long enough to implement this considerable price increase. I have always paid for your software til now. What was the price of the software previously? I don’t remember. $25 or so? Even if it was $100 which I know it wasn’t, $15 per month is one hell of an increase.

Your price increase is nothing more than yet another squeeze on small sellers such as myself who are trying to figure out how to pay the rent EVERY month. I will bet you don’t have that problem. Perhaps you can dispute my overstated “rich” comment, and I shouldn’t have overstated that, giving you something to point at and say I’m wrong, but you guys are doing pretty well for yourselves.

Sellers are getting squeezed by ebay, amazon, the postal service, shipping supply retailers, etc. To say nothing about food and living expenses. A trip to mcdonald’s to buy a 2 course meal totals around $14 now. It was less than 8 years ago, it was $6 out the door. So if you expect us all to like this, you’re in dream land. As I said before, you guys did the math and figured out that even if people like myself abandon your software, you will still get a VERY considerable increase in funds after this.

Or you wouldn’t be doing it. Simple as that. As you see from other replies on here, I am not the only VERY unhappy customer. And just think that only a fraction of 1% of unhappy customers are going to get on here and complain about it. So this has upset A LOT of people! But of course when you KNOW this is going to increase money considerably, it doesn’t matter.

Kudos for FINALLY making it so your software TRULY syncs with ebay. That was something that I thought GS should have been doing very early on in the development of GS. I waited for MANY years for that feature. I gave up waiting and just started updating my listings on ebay rather than using GS. That was after tiring of updating it on ebay and then going to GS to update it too. And because of that, now when I go to restart my listings, I am going to have to closely examine every one in GS to make sure what needs to changed gets done.

In fact, I wouldn’t have even noticed this price increase at all if it weren’t for the fact that I am getting ready to restart my listings after my ebay account being down for literally 1 year as of 4 days ago. Oct. 26th was the 1 year anniversary of my near fatal motorcycle crash. And when I say near fatal, I am not by any means overstating it. I almost died twice in surgery.

Got a blood clot in my lungs, pneumonia and everything that goes with it. I have titanium bars from my upper arm to my elbow. From my knee to my ankle and the x-ray of my pelvis shows what looks like a spider web of titanium go through my pelvis from one side to the other. I spent a month in a coma followed by 8 months in rehab. I had to learn to walk again. For that matter, upon first awakening, I had to learn to even use my hands again. I couldn’t even turn on my iphone using the button at the bottom at first. Now, one year later, I can barely make it from the bed to the couch some days due to the pain.

Yet I still have restarted by business because I have to in order to survive. What I am telling you is WAY under stated. To tell it all would take a minimum of 10 paragraphs. So give all of that a try and then you can cry to me about having it rough.

I appreciate the comprehensive feature set of GS as well as your responsive customer support; however, GS 6 & 7 have been well beyond my requirements of listing, revising and seeing what listings have expired. Everything else in my workflow is done in eBay’s sellers hub. As a relatively small seller I’m sure that I’m not alone with how I use GS. Have you given any thought to providing a Lite version of the application?

We had a slimmed down version of GarageSale a few years back, called GarageSale Basic. Even though it was selling for half the price of the regular version, only about 5% of our sales went to it. That’s why we decided to cancel it.

The very low volume seller is probably fine with using the eBay website or mobile app.

In my case I think that GS8 will have to prove itself to be much more stable and quicker than GS7 before I am prepared to commit to a monthly fee. I really only use it to list and don’t need all the add-ons.

GS7 is so prone to crashing and beach balling that I really can’t see that I would want to pay $15 a month. Think I’d rather just use eBay direct even if it is slower for each listing - at least I don’t have to watch the beach ball for minutes at a time when I’m trying to list.

The beach ball can be delayed until you are not listing by changing when it updates orders and listings in the preferences. I switched from 5 minutes to 1 hour and I don’t run into very often. 2 hours would even be better or never would stop it permanently while you are working and turn it back on when done listing.

Thanks for the handy tip. When I checked I had it set to one hour - I’ve set it to never for a bit to see how it affects the beachball.

Well, that didn’t work - if anything it’s worse today. Taking 20-30 seconds to catch up everytime I type something, and then just going off for no reason and beach balling for minutes at a time.

It’s just awful and I certainly wouldn’t pay $15 a month for this!

Imho, it seems like your Mac is slow or there may be conflicts with other programs fighting for the ram memory. I use GS7 on 2 different Macs (Mini and MacBook Air) and have never seen the beach ball.

@billythecardy I am 99% sure it depends on your machine, I had the same issue on an old iMac with HD. Which machine are you using? HD? How much RAM?

I also assume you have the latest version of 7? Should be 7.0.20 (856). Last winter an earlier version was beach balling terribly and tech made some changes which eliminated most of the problem except when it is getting updates.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.