How to get to the Design Template Utility?

Need help finding the goodies folder to use the design template utility.

Hi,

simply download GarageSale from the website, mount the install disk image. The Goodies folder is located there. You don’t have to (re)install GarageSale from that install dmg!

http://wiki.iwascoding.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Design_Template_Utility

Regards, Kristian

We used the app store to download the latest update. If we download from
the website do we have to start all over? Does the design template utility
not work if downloaded from the app store?
Thanks

You won’t have to start all over. Just make sure that you don’t install that GarageSale version from the install images. Install the DTU from the Goodies folder only.

However, the DTU won’t work with the GarageSale version from the MAS but creating your own design templates should work.
I think you’d have to move the created design file here:
“YourUserName”/Library/Containers/com.iwascoding.garagesale/DesignTemplates/*

• The last folder must be created manually.

Please note you should be familiar with HTML to create your own designs.

Regards, Kristian

Hi,

I can’t find the Design Utility either. Follow the directions above, downloaded the file itself but can’t find the Goodies folder. Version 7.07 Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vera

Hi Vera,

You can download the Download Design Utility 3.0 for GarageSale 7 in the help here:
https://manual.iwascoding.com/gs7/en/Miscellaneous-Creating_Own_Listing_Designs.html

Or on the GarageSale website here:

Regards, Kristian

Hi, Kristian,

Thank you! It helped a lot mostly because I can find the Library for GS7!

On my way to give it a try. Thanks again!

Vera

Hi, Kristian,

Gave it a try, the HTML is a bit more advanced than I’m used to. Just want to add a few text paragraphs after the description. I added the HTML between [[endprocedure drawUpperPart]] and [[procedure drawLowerPart]]

That was my best guess for the right place. Wanted to check if it worked but can’t find the template in GS to try it out. Do I need to move the file after it’s saved or should it be included in GS by default?

Thanks,

Vera

Hi, Kristian,

Well, that didn’t work! I tried many times but just don’t know where the additional text should go. Is it even possible? Have to edit all listings due to old code from previous app and we have over 600 listings.

I have been doing the template edits one by one but it’s just taking too long. It’s very labor intensive. Plus I’d love to be able to start the listings in the Scout app, then just apply the template and add the proper information on desktop and launch without having to do some many edits to new listings.

Not sure what is included in the template. Can a default description area be used? We’d like to have a default description format and the Properties in the template by default. All I’d need to do is change the actual information before launching, since text format, style, properties, etc would be part of the template. Can this be done?

Thank you very much!

Vera

Hi, Kristian,

Just wanted to let you know I got that part figured out - that’s what the Additional Text is for lol Laughing at myself here, learning how to use a Mac too.

Is there a way to preset Properties? Like the Custom Payment Instructions? That would be neat :wink:

Thanks again for your patience with a newbie Mac owner and GS user!

Vera

Hi Vera,

one way is to duplicate a listing design with the Design Utility and simply edit the “Properties” section!:

• In the Design Utility duplicate your favorite design and give it a unique name and identifier in the “General” section.
• In the “Properties” section edit the options and insert your default text.
• Save the design, restart GarageSale and select your custom design.

However, did you already discovered the “copy settings from” option in the GarageSale preferences > eBay > New Template? It allows you to copy all settings (including design properties) from a “master” listing.

If you want to add text to all your descriptions you could also give the the Text Snippet feature a try:
https://manual.iwascoding.com/gs7/en/Listings_Section-Text_Snippets.html

Regards, Kristian

Hi, Kristian,

GS is awesome, no I did not know you could do that! There are so many possibilities! I discovered the text snippets yesterday. Will try duplicating as you mentioned today.

When I copied the template yesterday in the Design Utility I could not find it in the Garage Sale template interface. But I did figure out to copy a listing and save it as a template, so creating new listings is a breeze. It’s updating the 600+ from the eBay import that is time consuming as I have no default template with text snippet, properties and designs that I can apply to the imported ones. There is some code in the old listings that needs to go, some active content and poor formatting since I no longer use the online service that created it. They look bad!

Thanks again!

Vera

Hi,

Reporting back after setting up the Preferences as you mentioned. Duplicated an existing listing, removed the photos, made sure all the custom fields were filled in and set up, including the additional text fields and Properties.

Works great on desktop, the listing is complete and perfect, but when I imported from Scout the listing does not have the text snippet. Did I miss something or is that to be expected?

Thanks again, really appreciate the help!

Vera

Hi Vera,

listings imported from GarageSale Scout keep their own description even if the description field has been left empty in GarageSale Scout.

However, the design properties should be taken over if defined in the master listing.

Just another idea: Select your master listing that contains the text snippets and right-click on it in the left outline view. Select “Copy listing components”.
Next, select the listing imported from GarageSale Scout, right click on it and select “paste listing components”. Select “Description”.
This should copy over the text snippet placeholders.

Regards, Kristian

Just wanted to thank you! I apologize for not doing it sooner.