Image Compression and Using Personal Image Server

I see that GarageSale is now applying a large degree of image compression prior to uploading even to Ebay’s server and it is ruining my already compressed images. They have lost their vibrant color and are intolerably noisy. I take a great deal of care with my images, am fully competent to apply the correct color correction and compression, and would like to know if there is an option I cannot find to turn off this compression. If not, I would like to request one. In the meantime, I would like to know if I set up my own secure image server to host, will this GarageSale image compression be bypassed and will I be able to again display more than the Ebay 12 image maximum in the description html?

Hi pfotes,

Please let us know which version of GarageSale you have installed. (Just select ‘About GarageSale’ from the ‘GarageSale’ menu in GarageSale.)

Are you saying that the images already look blurry in GarageSale’s Preview mode?
If so you might want to open the images in GarageSale’s Image Editor (double-click on an image to open it) and check if you have activated the “Unsharp Mask” efect by accident.

Did you already upload the listings in question and could you send us a link so we can have a look at the images?
Also, what image server do you currently have selected in the GarageSale preferences?

Regards, Kristian

There’s no image compression as far as I can tell but GarageSale will adjust the image size based on your settings in the preferences.
By using your own server you can add as many images as you want to your listings’s item description. (Only the first 12 will be available in eBay’s image gallery.)

Regards, Kristian

Kristian,

Thank you for the reply.

Below are links to particular listings that are straight out of GS along with a couple of the actual photos that were inserted. I think you’ll clearly see the compression artifacts although they may be on EBay’s end and not yours. It may be a coincidence that I upgraded to the current version (7.0.9) and at about the same time they began applying additional compression.

The other part that’s most important to me is GS’s downsizing of the description html images. Since my original question I have set up a WebDAV SSL folder out of which to host the images at their original size and quality but I would prefer to use EBay’s image hosting as the workflow is more agreeable but GS’s downsizing is not acceptable to me. Is there a way to have GS insert the description html images without downsizing as in the second listing link?

This listing is a good example of compression artifacts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332431896257

This is a listing straight out of GS with the down sampled html images (original size= 940x624): https://www.ebay.com/itm/332420602863

This is how I would like the description to appear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332418064250

Best regards,

Peter

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.