(GS7.0.7 on El Capitan.)
I’ve been a GS user for years and I’m very sad to see that longstanding issues that I reported to iwascoding years and years ago still exist, while the fundamental usability of the program has diminished especially with this latest version. I’ve only used GS7 for about two hours so far and I’m already pining for the return of version 4. So without further embellishment, if anyone can suggest fixes or solutions for these issues I would appreciate hearing about it.
- GarageSale continues to make terrible HTML, especially after you’ve done some editing during preview. DIV tags are sprinkled around like salt on peanuts. I’ve taken to writing all of my descriptions in TextWrangler, then copy/pasting the completed text in a new GS listing, then doing limited formatting. This works, although if I ever have to do more extensive or repetitive formatting I need to start over from the copy/paste part or else suffer through DIV-heavy HTML. Basically format-editing is useless in GS, unless there’s something I’m missing.
- GS still has trouble with bulleted lists; I reported this to iwascoding back in version 4, I believe. I type my description in, then go back and select a block of text, click the “bulleted list” button, and suddenly my ENTIRE listing is bulleted for some reason. I strongly suspect this is a byproduct of the bad HTML that GS generates since this issue almost never appears after I do a “clean start” copy/paste job as described in #1 above. All those DIV tags that GS generates is clearly screwing up the lists.
- FTP support took two steps forward and one back. Good job allowing multiple FTP accounts/servers to be configured. That’s nice. But how do you assign which FTP account is assigned to which ebay account and/or ebay listing? If I have two ebay accounts and two FTP accounts, there appears to be no way to tell GS that Ebay Account #1 uses FTP Account #1, and Ebay Account #2 uses FTP Account #2. You have to go into Preferences and manually change it each time.
- On the subject of FTP support, previous versions of GS allowed FTP connections that lacked multiple connection support. GS7 seemingly does not, as evidenced by my inability to use my FTP host which lacks multiple connection support. I am guessing that this is the reason why, every time I try to post a new listing through GS7, it generates an “Error while uploading (56): Failure when receiving data from the peer.” Every FTP client I’ve used, as well as shell FTP commands, has the ability to toggle single/multiple connections, so why not GS? (Some cynical part of me wonders if it’s perhaps just coincidental that single connection support was removed AND iwascoding now offers a paid subscription hosting service.) There also doesn’t appear to be a way to manually export the images from a listing so they can be manually uploaded, which would be a kludgey but at least serviceable workaround.
- Previous versions of GS had the very helpful ability to highlight ebay options that would result in additional fees. GS7 lacks this feature. Why?
- I created a new group, but I cannot rename it by any obvious means — double-clicking, right clicking, or locating a menu option to rename it. I similarly cannot rename previously-made groups. Why?
- Every auction item I had created prior to GS7 was set to prevent bidders from any country outside of the United States. After “upgrading” (ahem) to GS7, every single one of those items is now set to allow bidding from every country across the world. Why?
- Multiple picture support in item listings is counterintuitive and inconsistent. If I’m in Editor Mode I can only drag-and-drop an image in the space between existing images which will rearrange the images, but if I’m in Preview Mode I can only drag-and-drop an image on top of another image which will swap its position. Why isn’t this consistent and intuitive? Drag-and-drop a picture on top of a picture to swap them, drag-and-drop a picture on the space between pictures to rearrange them — regardless of which mode you’re in.
- Why don’t variations show up in Preview Mode as they would appear on an actual live ebay listing?
Curious to see what the community and/or iwascoding has to say about all this. Perhaps if I’m able to actually post an auction I’ll have a better experience to share, but since I’m not able to do so (because of the FTP single connection issue) I’m pretty much screwed at the moment.