Suggestions & Initial Feedback on 7 Beta - Please Contribute

GarageSale 7 fundamentally changes how the application works. There is no more differentiation between templates and running auctions. Everything is a listing right now. There are two main reasons for this:

1. eBay makes it super hard to launch duplicated listings by now. So having a single template and launching multiple auctions from it without modification doesn’t work anymore. Event if you modify a template to outsmart eBay’s duplicate detection, you loose the ability to easily revise the listing you initially listed.

2. We are trying expand to other marketplaces with future version of GS 7. The whole “your listing will end after x days, and then you have to restart it” thing is pretty eBay specific and doesn’t apply to other sites.

Once of the consequences of “everything is a listing” change is that you can only launch a listing once. If we were to allow to start it multiple times, we would override you original listing’s item id, listing address, and fees.

Therefore you see this alert, when you try to start a listings that you already launched in the past, that asks you if you want to start a duplicate listing. Since some users find it annoying to move the original listing to the trash manually, we added to this convenient checkbox you were asking about.

Are you already having sleepless nights because of 3 bucks you might save by buying a license right now? :wink:

Okay, I understand the concept, but don’t agree with the logic. The issue with not being able to sort listings separately from templates creates more work for me.

Here’s why:

I create listing templates for the various categories I sell from, and change the specifics (title, pics, custom details, category, and any description text that is specific to the item I’m selling.

When the templates are/were organized together, I could see and choose the most appropriate template from the column without scrolling, doing a search, etc.

eBay never rejected any of them as duplicates, and that was through last week when GS6 ceased to function with El Capitan.

I suppose I can drag the listings into the appropriate year folder, but that’s an extra step from GS6, and it’s not that easy since there’s nothing that visually distinguishes the template from the resulting listing.

It seems like GS7 has lots of extra steps in the form of multiple unnecessary dialogue boxes (photo deletion, launching, etc).

There also seems to be a total dismissal of revision to existing templates, again, creating more work for the user.

Finally, no, I’m not sweating the $3. I’m acclimating to GS7, and depending on what I find, it may no longer be the listing program I’m going to use.

But thanks for your responses, everything I hear from you feeds into my ultimate decision.

You could adhere to pretty much the same workflow in GS 6 by setting up base listings for various categories, that you would duplicate and customize for the item you are selling.

Sorry, I don’t see the difference. You can organize your listings the same way you could organize your templates in GarageSale 6.

Sorry, you lost me here. In GS7 there are only listings. Not templates anymore. You can easily distinguish between started and not-started listings by their different icons.

What “multiple unnecessary dialogue boxes” should that be? Can you post screenshots? The photo deletion alert is even identical to the one in GS 6!

Are you referring to a missing “revise” command? It’s actually there in toolbar (button with three dots).

LOL, that’s pretty funny. 3 bucks goes a long way.

Hello,
this is an interesting discussion and called me because I had the same doubt of atomiktoy about template and listings. I used GS6 for a long time and I found very useful the way to modify active listings. With that menu I could choose a specific listing to modify, now I cannot do this with GS7, if I understood what you said. This could be a problem for me, I will try to explain you why. I have thousands of items to sell but before starting I need to clarify all options of GS7. In the past I used some model to start several listings, it was very useful because I saved much time, just modified title, description and photos, then everything was ready. If I noticed I made a mistake some days later, even if I started 100 other listing after that one with the mistake, I could modify that auction from GS using the specific menu with all listings started with the current model. So now isn’t it possible any more? How can I avoid this trouble? Of course I cannot keep thousand of listings on left menu bar, so I delete them thanks to that field (Moe originals to trash…), but in this way I cannot modify them anymore. It’s a mess… could you help me please?

P.S. I think you should insert a field which says “mark and show no more this alert”, it’s annoying each time I start an auction…

What’s the matter of bucks?

The idea that a listing can only be started once, instead of being being paused and resumed as needed is highly, is highly eBay-specific and doesn’t translate to other market places. That’s why we got rid of the template/auctions metaphors used in GS6.

I suggest you put all listings belonging to the same item into its separate group. This way you would have them all in one place, not using any more screen reals estate in collapsed mode than a single template in GS 6.

I have recently installed GS7 on a new computer
I want to import all the listings from by old computer
file>export from the old computer
file import from the new computer
Only imports one listing - the one highlighted
even if I do select all
How to export/import all listings?
thanks
Stephen

Stephen C. Day
P.O. Box 2226
104 Skylark Lane
Corrales, NM 87048
stephencday@lobo.net

Hi Stephen,

in the current version, only the listings selected in Overview mode will be exported. So, after selecting the listings in the left outline view, right-click on one of the listings in the Overview mode and select “select all” before invoking the Export command.

However, in the next update you’ll no longer have to select the listings in Overview mode again. You can then export the listings selected in the outline view directly.

Regards, Kristian

Thanks - that worked
s