Thoughts for updates, please add your ideas!

I have read here where there are possibly some big changes in the works as far as upcoming features. How about we post a wish list here? Realizing all things aren’t possible. Thanks for all of the hard work you guys do. This is a great program overall.

I wish GS had the following:

Improved reports. I don’t want a 90 page itemized report at tax time to print out where I have to print pages of relists and such that didn’t sell. I would love the ability to just print a summary of the facts and only print itemized if I need it.

I wish when I used a template to create a listing I could tick a check box when I am done on the inspector and that item go to inventory. Or vice-versa from an inventory screen. Something. I don’t use the inventory function at all as it is too complicated. Everything should integrate better. You guys are super smart GS is a great program. There has to be a better way for those of us that do not sell many multiples of the same item.

When there is an update I wish I would get a clear explanation as to what was being updated and how new features work. It could be as simple as my main page in GS opening up to a screen of what is new & how to use the new features.

The ability to add other venues or at least to add a sales record from other places so they would show in reports etc.

What other venues or placed do you have in mind?

I know there was a recent venue topic where we discussed craigslist, amazon, etc. I remember reading that it would only be possible with amazon if you paid extra. So I was thinking even if it were generic entry where I could find an item and just manually enter a sales record naming the venue & linking it to inventory or sales reports would be ok with me.

I don’t see this available but have just acquired the need for it. I would love to see a way to be able to send an auction to another person to review before listing it. Evan a way to cleanly make a .pdf but ideally a option to generate some quick html that can be saved and emailed to another person for review. This way they could click the photos and see what images you used as well as reading the auction. It would help at times when I would like advice when selling things that are outside of my field of expertise… Which if you ask the people closest to me, is 99.9% of everything I claim I’m an expert at.

I guess the person you are sending the auction to wouldn’t be a GarageSale user?

You are correct. Would like to just send a preview so they might make suggestions etc.

Another thing that would be great is if when you upload or revise auctions it would send to a background task like it does when you schedule them. That way it frees you up to move on instead of waiting for the upload.

Response to OP, not azcolor :smile :

What I’m looking for, definitely. It’s really important to me to provide clients with a proof, even if they don’t use it.

Collectible auctions are already extremely labor-intensive, not including work I do on GarageSale. They don’t tend to be uniform, and I find it very difficult to format and proof them by going thru them one-by-one within the app.

Exporting to PDF with thumbnails would be AWESOME! Apple “Pictures” now has a function to set up contact sheets - setting up a contact sheet with auctions 2-up or even 4-up would be extremely useful to me. I would catch a lot more little typos (yes, I do make them…)

Also, my client would like to provide HIS clients with a visual copy that includes an image of the item. Sometimes we have up to 80 items, and this would be a great tool to avoid having to design yet another document to cut and paste to - the information is already there.

Just my two cents, but would save me many hours, $$$ and stress.

1 Like

I’m using GarageSale 7 for about 9 months and find it overall a good program.

However, with only about 60 items listed, I already struggle using it.
I consider GarageSale being well-named : currently suitable for garage sales, but still lacking a few features to turn it into a true “industrial grade” selling software.

So, here are my suggestions (at early Septembre 2018) to improve the software.
Some ideas should be relatively easy to implement. Other ones more difficult.

1. Get the listing description from a <div> wrapper on a remote site, using cURL or equivalent

As having a remote shop (not on eBay), I always have to copy the content of some <div> element
into Garage Sale’s listing description. Not only is this very labour intensive, but the remote descriptions are often completed with additional informations. For instance, when selling spare parts it is frequent to list the parts quickly and to inject more details into the database when having more time.

So what I would appeciate for GarageSale’s listing description is the possibility to open a window that let me fill these fields:

• remote URL

• wrapper id in the remote url (e.g. “myItemDescription”)
    <div id="myItemDescription">...</div>

Additionnally should be a button “Update from remote URL”, which when clicked would reload again the wrapper’s content.

2. A global flat view for inventory and for auctions

Flat views are available when clicking nodes in the auctions section or in the inventory section.
Why not expand the concept to INVENTORY and AUCTIONS keywords in top of the left-panel trees, which when clicked could display a flat view of all items.
(Meanwhile a trick for users is to create a root node to emulate this idea.)

3. Predefined filtered flat views

It would be useful to have some predefined flat views, like “All listings that were not published yet” and “All published items”, so that it is easier to repeat the same task on several items in batch editing sessions.

For instance, when one wants to work on all items that were not published yet.

There is still place for new icons near to the listing / inventory / orders / reports ones.
Possibly, per-eBay site flat views would be useful as well.

4. Better linking between listing and inventory

Currently, this is really a pain.
When one item is clicked (highlighted) in the inventory and one switches to the listings, this item should be automatically selected in the listing and vice versa.
I assume that most sellers only have one listing per inventory item.

Furthermore, when there is only one unit of an item in the inventory, the quantity should automatically drop to 0 when the item is sold.

Many of us are selling collectibles or spare parts, which are most of the time unique.
In such case, the link between the inventory and the listing is obvious.

5. Country flags or per-country trees for listings

Coloured blue / green icons in the left tree and in the central pane, could be replaced by country flags telling on which eBay site (US, Canada, Germany, France, UK, a.s.o.) an item is listed.
The blue, green or dashed border could be kept of course.

Alternatively, the auctions could be split into per country groups (eBay.com’s auctions, eBay.fr’s auction, a.s.o.) with one tree per country, which would possibly be even better as the same currency and shipping settings could be shared amongst the tree.

The possibility to replicate the same folder tree for several countries would be useful.

6. A third display mode for inventory and listings : flat view with thumbnails

There are currently two modes when displaying items in the central pane : thumbnails or list.
I’m using very long item names, at the end of which I put the sku that I use as identifier to distinguish unique items that can sometimes look similar. Hence, the thumbnail view is not much used by me, since I cannot see the sku in the titles.
Unfortunately, in the list mode, I cannot see for which items a picture is missing.
A third mode “expanded list”, displaying thumbnails in a column would be useful.

7. Better picture management

Instead of listing the pictures about each other in a very tiny box, please double the size of the thumbnails and make the gallery take the full width, displaying the pictures from left to right.
Put the inventory description field below this gallery, and auto-drop it off if empty.
Add a (+) button to expand the description field vertically, or make it auto-expand depending on its content.

I never use the description field at the inventory level. Then it is useless for me and this space should be better used to display the picture gallery.

Make pictures of the gallery auto-zoom when hovered, instead of having to double-click to open them in a window.

8. Visual indicator when title length is above 80 characters in inventory

It is frustrating when you have inventory titles over 80 characters, convert them to listings and then having the upload to eBay being refused because of title exceeding 80 chars.
So, the check of the title length should be performed as soon as possible, that is at the inventory level.
However, this check should not be too strict. That is, titles in the inventory should still be able to store let’s say 100 characters (or more), especially so that CSV import remains possible and because the user may have to do some copy paste to shorten the titles and also to leave enough freedom at the inventory level.
I would suggest using fixed-width characters and a small vertical bar to show the suggested 80 chars limit or alternatively a count (like 76/80) to show how many character are still available to not exceed eBay’s rule.

9. Warning dialog box when importing from CSV and item title is over 80 characters

If item title is over 80 chars, the software should ask if on still want to import the items or cancel the import.
This check should be performed before any new item is inserted from the CSV in the database.

10. More basic statistics

There is some very basic statistic about the number of online listings in “GarageSale > About GarageSale”.
More basic stats would be useful. They should be easy to implement if the user had some checkbox to confirm that he’s selling only unique collectibles or spare parts (i.e. quantity = 1)

• number of published items for each eBay site
  • total value of published items
  • total value of items, including non published ones
  • mean price of items
  • median price of items

It would also be nice if the user could follow these statitistics over time (e.g. once a month), maybe in some kind of dashboard.

11. Inventory cost and price using different currencies

The items were not necessarily purchased in the same currency that they will be sold.
Having the possibility to use different currencies for cost and price, and a basic way to set exchange rates would be useful.

12. Possibility to list on another eBay site.

One sometimes wants to publish on another eBay site.
Tying to add same account but for another country always seems linking eBay.com (text is in English).
Maybe I’m missing something.

13. Allowing SQL queries

Probably a dream as GarageSale is using a LevelDB which is a noSQL-type database.
I’m not sure wheher you did this choice of a noSQL-like database, since the data are a priori structured.
If GarageSale was using sqlite instead, it would be very nice as this would allow SQL queries.

This suggestions sounds very specific. My advice would be to create a custom AppleScript, that constructs a URL from a listings SKU, and uses curl and something like pup(GitHub - ericchiang/pup: Parsing HTML at the command line) to update the listings description.

I’m not sure I get this suggestion.

Are you talking about something like popup we are working on for GS 8?

I agree. If I’m not mistaken, this was working at some point. We need to investigate what’s going on.

This should be working already. However, there seems to be an issue with long SKUs, which get truncated by eBay, so GarageSale cannot match the sales to the inventory item. Maybe you are running into this issue.

I’m not sure that we have enough cross-country sellers, that such a change would be warranted.

Good suggestions. Added to our list.

In GS 8 you’ll be able to increase the width of the image column. Hope this helps somewhat.

All added to our list.

Not sure about this one. It makes the software much more complex, and only a few sellers would probably benefit from such a feature.

I’m not entirely clear about this one. Can you elaborate further? You should be able to duplicate a listing and switch it to a different site already.

Because we need to frequently change the database structure, because of eBay changes. We’ve been using SQLite before, and having to migrate databases between different GarageSale versions become a major source of frustration for our users (especially downgrades) and complexity for us.

Hi ilja,

Thank you for you detailed answer.

1. Get the listing description from a <div> wrapper on a remote site, using cURL or equivalent

I don’t think that this suggestion is so specific as it concerns all sellers who already have a shop and use ebay as a complementary marketplace. It would allow to retrieve easily descriptions that were already formatted in HTML. As long as you can access the source code, you can see the id where the product description is.
CSV import is very nice for titles, but difficult for HTML-formated descriptions.

Thanks for mentioning pup, but I don’t see well how would I integrate this command-line tool to inject descriptions into GarageSale.

2. A global flat view for inventory and for auctions

I hope that I’m not missing someting.
I meant that if you have created some 1st level folders like “bicycles”, “cars”, “trucks”, I cannot see a way to list all items in all those three nodes. Unless creating a root folder (e.g. “vehicles”) and putting the three nodes as children of it.
This trick works but adds an extra hierarchical level of folders for nothing.
Making some “JOIN” on 1st level nodes when users clicks the “LISTING” or “INVENTORY” keyword in the left panel would do the same.

3. Predefined filtered flat views

Are you talking about something like popup we are working on for GS 8?

Yes, seems so.
The screenshot you posted looks great!
Maybe the “All Listings” popup will also address the issue of suggestion 2?

4. Better linking between listing and inventory

Ok.
So, I will wait that this is is fixed again.
My sku are short. My titles are very long (about 80 chars).
I cannot remember thatwhen the unique item was sold its inventory level fall from 1 to 0, but I will watch again carefully next time.

My store uses short 4-chars SKUs and long titles ~80 chars.

Another thing I would appreaciate a lot would be the possibility to manually map an listing imported from eBay to an existing inventory item. Of course, I can cancel the listing and create a new one from the inventory, but I would prefer if I could modify existing one (to keep eBay statistics about the listing a.s.o.)

5. Country flags or per-country trees for listings

I’m not sure that we have enough cross-country sellers, that such a change would be warranted.

The fact is that some eBay sites offers more free publication auctions (eg. 300 for eBay.de vs 50 for eBay.com).

Instead of flags, would it be easier to display “text icons” telling about on which eBay site an auction is published : [com], [de],[fr], [it], … ?
(With blue or green border and background colors like currently.)

Or should GarageSale filter out (= not import) auctions that are not coming from the eBay site to which the user is connected as they use a different currency.
(e.g. The user is connected to eBay.com on which prices are in USD, but its auctions on eBay.de are in EUR)

6. A third display mode for inventory and listings : flat view with thumbnails

Good suggestions. Added to our list.

Meanwhile, I realized that the thumbnails view is already pretty good to find which items are missing a picture. But the sku should be displayed over them, like the price is.

I also put the sku at the end of my titles, but they are truncated in thumbnail view. One idea could be to auto-scroll titles when they are hovered.

In the listing view for nodes, as well as in the right pane of the item view, it would be useful to list the number of pictures that an item does have. The fact is that my items use one recto and one verso pictures.
If knowing if the count is 0, 1 or 2, I instantly know if an item has all its pictures or is missing some.

7. Better picture management

Instead of listing the pictures about each other in a very tiny box, please double the size of the thumbnails and make the gallery take the full width, displaying the pictures from left to right.

In GS 8 you’ll be able to increase the width of the image column. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks. Sure it will help somewhat.
However, I think that the gallery of thumbnails being displayed horizontally would me more comfortable.
The fact is that the code editor with the syntax highlighter is at the listing level, whilst the description field in the inventory is tiny and uncomfortable. This is why the “description” field is useless for me.
Because I’m only using one template for each item, I prefer having the description for the listing rather than in the inventory. For this reason, I suggest the description field being minimized in the inventory if empty and this would make more space available for the pictures gallery.

8., 9., 10. : Thanks having added this to your list.

11. Inventory cost and price using different currencies

Not sure about this one. It makes the software much more complex, and only a few sellers would probably benefit from such a feature

OK. I understand.

12. Possibility to list on another eBay site.

I’m not entirely clear about this one. Can you elaborate further? You should be able to duplicate a listing and switch it to a different site already.

When I try to add a profile to another site (e.g. ebay.de instead of ebay.com) in order to import items from there, the login mask is always in English. Maybe should I only switch the publication site in the drop list from the Preferences window, without creating a new profile?

Allowing SQL queries
Thanks for explanations. I better understand why you adopted a noSQL-like database.

The ability to enter the shipping weight with one click. Clicking on the shipping line opens a panel to domestic but I always have to click on the international tab to enter the weight. This only occurs when using “flat” shipping and the option to enter domestic weight is available when using "calculated’ for shipping.

Hi! New user here but I am loving GarageSale!

Two things I would like to see in future versions are:

1.) Check Box to automatically populate the Product Information into the Item Title.

2.) Have the Media Library go to the background after you click back on GS’s main window.

3.) Click in the Drop Zone of the image placeholder to open the Media Library.

Sorry if these have been mentioned before, but I was so excited I didn’t look over all of these entries yet.

Thanks for such a great product!

This nice option will be available in the next major version of GarageSale.

You can do this by right-clicking (or ctrl-clicking) on an image or image placeholder!

Thank you for your feedback,
Kristian

1 Like

Auto parts Compatibility

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.