Trouble importing GS 6 template into GS 7

I have exported a few auction templates from GarageSale 6, and tried to import them on GarageSale 7 that we recently downloaded on our second iMac. We just added this computer, so there is not GS 6 version already installed. We purchased the Family License since adding a new computer, and I need to transfer some of our basic templates into this version so we can start listing.

When I try to import, nothing happens. No error, or “thinking”, just nothing. How can I get this working so we can use our second Mac for listing.

Thank you!
-Cassie

I thing GarageSale 6 and 7 templates are incompatible. When you first run 7 it will import from the 6 library. What you may have to do is install 7 on the machine with 6, import from the 6 library, then export the templates from 7 and move them to the new computer.

Pete

Hi,

GarageSale 7 should be able to import files that were exported from GarageSale 6. Can you please send me the exported files in an archive (as a direct private message)? I will have a look why the import fails.

Please make sure you are using the latest version of GarageSale 7 (7.0.5 or the new 7.0.6 beta here).

Thanks,
Paul

Sure thing! I did check for updates in GS 7, and it says I have the latest version- 7.0.5 (783).
Sending the files now.

Thank you!!

Hi,

just tried to import some of your files and all imported as expected. BUT: the selection/scrolling in the outline view seems to be broken. If you scroll down to the end, do you see the imported listings?

Also: I had to rename the listings and add the “garagesale” extension to the name. Maybe this is an issue, too?

Thanks,
Paul

I did just download the 7.0.6 beta version, and tried the import via File > Import > Import Listings, and nothing happened. It looks to me as if the “.garageSale” extension is there on my files (screen shot attached). We simply exported them from GS 6 on the other iMac, and then Air Dropped them over to the new computer. I don’t have any templates or auctions in GS yet since we just downloaded this on the fresh computer, so there doesn’t seem to be a need to scroll. I have attached a screen shot of our view in GS.

Thank you!
Cassie

@paul I tried to change the file extension to “garagesale” (without the capital “S” that it exported as), and still nothing happened. I also tried to rename the file as just one word “womens” with no spaces or extra characters, and got nothing. Is it possible to just download GS 6? We really need to get listing on this computer and without being able to import this auction template, there is no way to use the template we purchased from GS.

Thank you,
Cassie

Hi,

do you see any messages showing up in the Console application when importing the GS6 templates into GS7? You can find the Console app in /Applications/Utilities on your Mac.

Thanks,
Paul

@paul I have attached a couple screen shots of what is showing in the Console when I try to import the template.

Thank you for your help!
Cassie

@paul Are you able to tell anything from the Console messages? I was able to use the Pro template to make a new auction template in GS 7 (not sure if they are just free now or if it somehow knew we previously purchased), but I would still like to export some of our duplicate auctions in GS 6 for quick and easy listing in GS 7.

Thank you,
Cassie

Hi,

this seems to be an issue introduced by Apple in macOS Sierra. Until now I only know about one customer who had this issue. As we can not reproduce it it is hard to know how to fix it. This has something to do with the underlaying security system and the sandbox GarageSale runs in (you can see the “failed getting container for URL” message when trying to open the exported file).

Currently I am on vacation with a bad internet connection. I will come back (probably with a new idea) next wee when I am at work again.

Thanks,
Paul

@paul I was thinking it may have something to do with the Sierra update we literally did just days before upgrading to GS 7! Thank you for responding while on vacation. Have a good time and enjoy your trip. We will hope for a fix in the new year! :wink:

Best wishes for a happy and safe New Year!
Cassie

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi,

actually, I have no clue how we can solve this. That is because this an issue with your system, that forbids GarageSale to access the file. Maybe you have the ability to go to an Apple Store and ask for help there?

One more thing we can try: please open the Terminal app (you can find it in /Applications/Utilities) and enter the following command:

xattr -l “Path/To/File”

Please replace “Path/To/File” with the actual path to the file (you can drag/drop the file from Finder into the Terminal). Please make sure to press enter after copying the command.

Thanks,
Paul

Sorry @paul, we actually just made a new template (copy and paste all of the policies and layout from eBay) because we needed to get things listed. It looks like the pro template that we previously purchased is a little different in GS 7, but did not require us to pay, so we just used that. I wish it would work so we could send older listing to the new computer instead of having to write them all over again, but nothing can be perfect. Appreciate you trying to help!

Best regards,
Cassie