Trying to recover files

I will try and keep this to the point. I updated my MacBook - it went wrong - whole thing was wiped in the Apple store and OS reinstalled - Genius Bar person backed up Garage Sale on an external drive but when I reinstall it it did not run very well so I downloaded GS straight from the IWC website.

The only templates I have been able to retrieve are the ones that has been on active on eBay over the last few months via the import tool - every other template and set up auction I have ever done since 2015 has gone.

Is there anyway of finding/extracting these files from this back up of GS on the external drive? I guess this is a long shot but I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks - Lee :slight_smile:

Hi Lee,

if you have a backup your old GarageSale database should still be there.
Please let us know which version of GarageSale you have installed. (Just select ‘About GarageSale’ from the ‘GarageSale’ menu in GarageSale.)

GarageSale 7 keeps your database in a folder called
com.iwascoding.garagesale7 in your User Library* under
Macintosh HD/Users/yourUserName/Library/Containers
To make your database available on a new system, this folder from your backup must be copied to the corresponding location on the new system. Make sure GarageSale is not running while transfering this folder to its new location.

*Please note: The User Library is hidden by default. To access it click the Finder’s “Go” menu and press the option and shift key to make the User Library show up in the menu. Selecting it will open it in the Finder.

Regards, Kristian

Thanks for your reply - I am running 7 and can see the user folder you spoke about. When the guy backed this up - he just copied the software - none of the library - so I guess the templates are lost? I can open the application itself in finder from the external by right click and ‘showing contents’ but as backing up any of the library he did try but because it was taking so long and he had never done it before (I sometimes the term Genius Bar is a little optimistic) he just dragged over icons and folders but nothing in the library. :frowning:

So the guy at the Genius bar only copied the application itself, because creating a backup of the library folder would have taken him too long? :man_facepalming:

Unfortunately so. What happened is that the machine would not boot after a High Sierra update - I tried for three days at home various things including re-installing the OS. I took it to the Genius Bar a lady said to reinstall OS so I had to sit there for 2 hours whilst it reinstalled and of course this didn’t fix it. Then a guy took over (as the lady the app was with went to lunch) he tried to copy the HD over but had not done it before and because it was stuck on a progress bar for so long he stopped it and wiped it of the external - then just dragged stuff across to an external such as pictures, documents etc - a number of apps - none of which work - like my photoshop. In the end I was there just over 5 hours he ended up wiping it. The HD library he originally successfully copied over I do not know why he wiped it off the external. Annoying.

I am going to have to try this method tomorrow morning… as I have just had my second Kernel Panic in two week, and I think my HD may be on the way out.
sadly, my experiences with both the Local ‘Accredited’ Apple computer repairer and the Apple Genius bar 40 km away, has been negative. each time they have simply done the ole “wipe everything and re isnatll the system”…

regards, Sandy

Sorry to hear that - I think my re-boot issue was due to High Sierra not accepting non-apple ‘kern texts’ I tried and tried but I could not find them via the terminal. So I had a Genius Bar laundry !! :frowning:

my attempt to upgrade to High Sierra was such a disaster, that i have been put of that OS for ever… I found every flaw and problem of “Time Machine”, which becomes usless after a system upgrade, etc.
and Apples managment of OS…(you cant just download the OZ you want, recovery insists on installing the original OS of the imac came with, Lion, and then there are no intermediat upgrade, so after 6 hours, have to go to Sierra… another 6 hours etc, and then totaly re install EVERYTHING… 3 days… so sleep…
and the genuis bar at apple are nerds, who just wiped my computer and re installed…
so you were lucky…
regards, Sandy

Hey! No one said the guy was a genius! :-/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.