Update to Big Sur and GS8 has gone back 2 months in time and erased hundreds of hours of work

Very frightening error as I just installed Big Sur today on my Listing machine and when GS8 launched it was as though it loaded into a version from 2 months ago, with thousands of listings erased putting me back in time 2 months.

I was just using it fine this morning and the update seemed to go just fine except for GS8 which is currently wrecked for me. Hoping for some assistance as I just lost my breath looking at GS8 opening…

Thanks as always,

-Anthony

Update: I just restarted the computer and the GS8 Database has gone back to normal, but still confused as to why this suddenly happened, or if it may happen again. I immediately went to the containers folder to backup the com.iwascoding file but that is no longer in containers?

Did something change with the Big Sur update?

This is what I am referencing: before today’s update the gs8 com.iwascoding.garagesale folder was in this same location but now it is gone from there. Is there a new way to backup GS8 for future issues?

I see that there’s also a GarageSale 7 database on your Mac. Could it be that you inadvertently launched GS 7, which gave you your old database?

No, I’ve been using GS8 exclusively as a Pro User for a long time now.

What is the best way to backup the current database now that the com.iwascoding is no longer in library>containers? I went to HELP>OPEN LIBRARY FOLDER in GS8 and just copied the 70gb worth of files from that location to place on my external backup hard drive ? I just want to make sure to backup this GS8 database each week to prevent any major issues like this in the future

If this is a Mac essential for your business, the best you can do is getting a large external harddrive (minimum twice the size of your internal drives) and use it as a Time Machine backup. That way you’re covered not only in case something happens to the GS database, but your Mac in general.

In that screenshot I can see a “Contacts” folder. I have never seen such a folder there. Are you sure you’re looking at the right location? It should be in your user Library* here:
Macintosh HD/Users/yourUserName/Library/Containers

*Please note: The User Library is hidden by default. To access it click the Finder’s “Go” menu and press the option (alt) and shift key to make the User Library show up in the menu. Selecting it will open it in the Finder.

Please also make sure nothing has been entered in the Finder’s search field.

Regards, Kristian

Yes have been doing this monthly, but now will be done weekly

Yes, we have discussed this containers location previously as you guys helped me setup GS8 onto 2 different computers, so the option key to open the Library>Containers folder is indeed how I accessed the folder. There are MANY new folders under the Library>Containers location now, including world Clock and MANY others. Not sure if this is the new way Big Sur is locating these items but it does look different than the other computer I have which does not have Big Sur.

Any idea how this is working now? I am afraid to close GS8 now in fear it will go back again…

I also never use GS7 anymore as that is just a remnant of when I used to use GS7…

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 11.28.36 AM

I am clueless why there’s no “garagesale8” directory there. Maybe @ilja or @paul have an idea.

What do you see if you select “Show path bar” from the Finder’s View menu?
Again, are you sure the search field is blank?

Regards, Kristian

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.25.06 PM
(only edited the computer name for privacy)

In this image above I specifically highlighted the com.iwascoding.garagesale7

Absolutely positive nothing is in the search field. I took a screengrab video if you need to see me go through the process? This containers folder is an absolute mess to be honest. There are 6 instances of a MAIL container and numerous other duplicate folders within this Library>Containers

Looks like a new OS bug from Apple but it may cause your specific uses some major problems. I am backing up listings (exporting) hourly to be honest

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.28.04 PM

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.28.34 PM

Also are these the new folders I should back up to be safe?

Searched for com.iwascoding.garagesale8 and found the following:

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.32.39 PM Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.32.44 PM Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.32.24 PM Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.32.28 PM Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.32.34 PM

If you choose “Open Library Folder” from the GarageSale Help menu, can you please Command-Click on the “GarageSale” window title in the Finder and take a screenshot of the popup menu, so we can see what’s the path to the folder GarageSale is using?

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 4.32.25 PM

You need to open image in new tab to see the full image

It seems Apple indeed changed something: Instead of the application identifier ‘com.iwascoding.garagesale8’, they are now displaying “GarageSale” as directory name in the Finder.

The Terminal still shows the real name, but this is super confusing for people having multiple versions of GarageSale installed. They get multiple GarageSale folders in the Containers folder, without an easy way to determine which one belongs to which version.

Well there was a pretty crazy issue for me where it literally replaced the entire garage sale with an older version from 2 months previous. I am not sure if this will suddenly happen again but I hope bringing this to your attention prevents this from happening to others or prevents the effect becoming permanent somehow.

I am continuing to backup daily until there is more clarity from Apple or Iwascoding regarding what this issue means or how serious it actually can become

Thanks

After 1 week of working with GS8 Full-time, Daily on 2 machines, this error has not replicated itself. I assume it was an initial rebuilding of application databases with Mac OS was updated since 2 developers seem puzzled that the containers folder was moved by apple with the latest release.

If you run into this error, simply restart your machine and it should fix itself on its own

Good information thanks for sharing

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.