8.4.1 crashing on launch

Hi all, I have having the same problem described here GS 7.0.18 (854) crashing on startup - #29 by Vaguery
Disabling network does enable the app to start but I really it to update from eBay, any fix?
Thanks

Hi. Apparently, the fix is to upgrade to v9.

Sounds about right, force long time users to buy new version by not fixing bugs in old version, quality business model there!

Not really an option.

In the U.S. eBay gives non store owners 250 listings each month without any insertion fees.

Version 9 only allows you to list 50 items per month unless you pay $14.95.

Not worth paying $14.95 to list an additional 200 items.

eBay did away with their free insertion events years ago, making GarageSale much less valuable. During these events, which were held multiple times a year, I was invited to list up to 50,000 items without insertion fees. I am sure larger sellers received larger invitations.

It is also not worth paying eBay insertion fees to list more than 250 items per month.

In one quarter eBay lost 13% of all its buyers and 9% in the next quarter. Total sales volume for eBay was down 10%, 10% and 20% in three straight quarters. eBay has been losing customers for years. Millions of accounts are in fact duplicate accounts used by the same person. Very common to have one or seller accounts, buyer accounts and accounts just for posting in their forums, thus their actual user base is overstated by many millions.

I also have absolutely no use for most of the so called features found in GS9. I have no use for image hosting; computer syncing; the inventory, orders and reports tab; eBay messages; photo editing. Even the ending GTC listing early is not needed as that can be accomplished on eBay.

How is all of that of any relevance or any help?

1 Like

How is is not?

Upgrade to 9 to a basic license or pro license all those entail or stop using GS.

For $14.95 or less you can host your own website.

Posts are not just added to the forum just for your benefit but for a wider audience.

The real question is why hadn’t figured this out on your own beforehand and contacted the company to confirm.

Easy to figure out using a tool like Little Snitch. When you disable GS’s connected to eBay API’s GS runs fine, but if it is connected GS immediately crashes.

Actually that is bad software design as the application should not suddenly quit without any explanation. It should produce a popup window with relevant information to the problem, especially since eBay no longer supporting the earlier API was known for some time.

Yeah, unfortunately, they are following the lead of other software developers. I can’t blame them too much as they need to make money in order to keep developing the product. In a business environment, I have had to purchase upgrades on a regular basis, in order to keep using other software that I have invested effort and time into. Same here. Luckily, for me, GS9 has some features that I wanted.

OK. I agree with your points. GS9 has some new features that I find useful for me and I like the historical and reference information from my old listings along with the ability to copy them. eBay does not keep closed listings available very long.
eBay has made their free lister better and faster. It sounds like that is a good solution for you as there is not enough value for you to upgrade.

No longer worth using. Not worth paying $14.95 a month to list another 200 items a month. For that amount of money or less you can host your own website. The publishers of GS are acting like its still the late 1990s to early 2000s golden era of eBay when in fact its been dying for years.

In previous years I purchased Adobe’s Master Collection. After they moved to a subscription model I no longer make any purchases from them.

After Xojo moved to a subscription model, in which you have to pay for the entire product again, I no longer make any purchases form them. Many others agree, despite being around since the late 1990s under various names, its never become a major tool for software developers.

GS9 has some new features that I find useful

It has become bloatware. Stick with the fundamentals of creating, uploading and editing listings. Everything else I can accomplish much faster using other dedicated tools. When you attempt to be all things to everyone you become the master of none.

for me and I like the historical and reference information from my old listings along with the ability to copy them.

Older versions of GS allow one to retain old listings as well as duplicating them; however, I export and archive listings after they are sold to backup drives as they are no longer needed. This reduces the size of the database and increases the performance of your hard drive. I don’t keep documents and similar files created with other apps on the main hard drive as this will slow down the drive as it fills up, but of course GS stores its database on the main drive.

eBay does not keep closed listings available very long.

Currently 365 days with Terapeak. For longer time periods they want you to use their partner WorthPoint for a subscription; however, such listings are increasingly irrelevant the older they are as they do not bear current eBay market pricing. Of course eBay hasn’t set current market pricing for many years - its the lowball marketplace. You may find the items you sold on eBay being resold on other marketplaces and private websites owned by your buyer as they can sell the item for more than eBay commands.

eBay has made their free lister better and faster. It sounds like that is a good solution for you as there is not enough value for you to upgrade.

Actually the solution, like so many other sellers on eBay, is to move more of their inventory off eBay to other platforms and physical locations. Of course I’ve already done that for many years, using consignment shops and third party websites. My first online off eBay store was on the old GeoCities hosting site with payments by mail, but of course things are much easier now.

Any tools from eBay are slow. I used my first Macintosh listing tool for eBay, called A.I.D., way back in 2001. Just shows you how much eBay cares about its users that is forces them to use a too slow to use webpage based listing form as if it was 1995. Over 10,000 employees and billions of dollars but they can’t afford tp create a desktop listing tool.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.