GarageSale 7 Beta 20 Released

Thanks, I got your spin dump file. But unfortunately it does not contain any useful information. Where you using GarageSale and did it show the spinning beachball cursor while you were recording the spin dump?

Can you do me another favor and take a look that memory pane of the Activity viewer, how much free memory does it say your computer has (Physical memory - used memory).

It’s hard to tell what might be cause as this, as there are so many layers involved. When you open the Console application (under /Application/Utilities), are there still any log messages from GarageSale 6 from the the time the uploading stopped?

Start items in smaller batches. See if you can get it going with 50 items and increase the batch size from there.

I have 8 GB ram, using about 5.5 GB. I can’t really do smaller batches unless I sit all day and babysit the uploads so that I can start the next one right away. It’s important for the way that I sell for a large selection to come one after another… There are many log messages regarding 6. This was a week ago, and I think it crashed near the bottom of the list of messages. It only goes back 1 week, and the major crashes were 2 days earlier than that. Anyhow, here’s a picture of what I have:

Spinning… Beach… Ball… Slowly… Killing… Me…

Hey Fonky1,

I feel you.
Going to beach and playing Beach Ball is really nice.

One must make money before doing so :frowning:

The beach ball has been killing me.
The old garage sale didn’t validate much, when there were problems the listing just didn’t make into eBay and I would manually handle the few that for usually for obvious reason were not listed.

I think validation and beach balling should go away, other than that I still like this new version more than the last one.

Repeat!!!
Spinning… Beach… Ball… Slowly… Killing… Me…

If you have pretty long times of beach balling, you can also use the “sample” method instead of “spin dump”. Maybe this way we get an idea were GS is stuck at your place. It’s pretty similar to the taking a spin dump:

1. Launch GarageSale if you don’t have it already running
  2. Open the Activity Monitor application (under /Application/Utilities)
  3. Select GarageSale from the list of running applications in Activity Monitor
  4. Now do something you are pretty sure that will cause the beachball to come up for several seconds
  5. Chose “View” menu > “Sample Process” (Activity Monitor will probably ask you for an admin password at this point)
  6. Wait while the sample is taken
  7. Save the sample output into a file and send it to us.

I will do so.

Give me a few days to send you something.
I know how to tick-off garagesale 7

Thank you.

Beta 24 should bring some speed improvements. Please use that version for testing.

Thanks. I will try it tomorrow. I think it usually gets stuck when I go to another program (like Safari) and then come back. If I stay in Garage Sale, it’s pretty smooth.

Actually, OK I updated. How do I create an event now? Do I need to highlight each item, or can I just highlight the folder. I have tried the folder, but then there’s only 1 item showing in the scheduler. Then I tried highlighting each item, and the spinning beach ball is FOREVER. (not really, but a long time)

Then, after highlighting each item, the scheduler still did not have them all. I think it did not accept the items I am trying to re-list.

There a several ways:

• If you have a folder containing listings, right click it in the outline view and choose “New Event from selected listings”

• If you want to schedule specific from a folder, you can select them in the middle section of the main window, click the ‘+’ button in the toolbar and choose “New Scheduler event”.

Can you give instructions (a screenshot or screencast perhaps), how you tried to highlight each item. I’d like to get to the source of the spinning beach ball.

When I highlighted each item, I clicked the first one and the SHIFT-clicked the last one to highlight them all.

Just now I did the “new event from selected listings”. There are about 500. Spinning ball… It’s been a couple minutes and I still can’t even get back to Garage Sale.

A couple more minutes and I got back in. And the event will not accept the 50 or so re-listings of unsold auction items that were in the 500. So my event has around 450.

And, in the scheduler, between the Enable Event and “This event must be enabled” is something spinning for 2 minutes or more now. I can’t enable the event (or do anything). So far, it’s about 7 minutes from the time I did the “new event from selected listings”

I see. Is this with beta 24 or some other version?

24 – the newest. I’m kinda freaking out right now. It stopped spinning. When I went to change the time of the event (so it would be in the future), it started spinning again and again I can’t do anything. I’m sorry if it seems like I’m over-reacting, but this program is how I feed my family! I need to upload the auction today. What do I do?

OK, after 20 minutes of spinning, it started uploading. Unfortunately it dumped the first 20 all at once so it could catch up. But at least it’s going now.

We removed a few bottlenecks in the architecture. Beta 25 should be a lot faster in creating new scheduler events.

Great! What about the re-listing thing…? I put the unsold items in alongside the new ones I created, but the scheduler won’t list them. It skips over them.

OK, so today I’m trying to upload the 2nd half of my 1000 items, so another 500. Using beta 25. Initially, there is no beach ball and the scheduler comes up quickly. However, inside the scheduler, next to the “Enable Event” box, it spun for about 6 minutes and slowly items in the lower corner turned yellow.

Then it showed something different, a red error message. But I cannot see what it refers to.

And it won’t let me go further to upload the auction. So it won’t tell me what’s wrong and thus I cannot fix it, and I can’t upload…?

OK, update. I figured out how to see which item is a problem. First, there was an item with no picture. No problem – fixed. Then there are 2 items and I can’t see what the problem is. Is there any place where I can read the whole error message? By the way, the older version of the scheduler was a lot easier to read as far as errors. I didn’t have to scroll through a giant list in a tiny box.

follow up. the scheduler has an event with around 450 items. first it found an item with no picture, which was a legitimate problem. there were 2 other items with a red triangle. i couldn’t see anything wrong, so i deleted the event and added it again. those 2 passed just fine, but it found some other mystery problem with another item which had passed inspection before. when i deleted the mystery problem item, it started checking all of them again! it continues to find problems with items which were ok before. i cannot upload the auction.

In the bottom left table view containing the listings, you can hover the cursor over the error or warning icon to see what the error message is.

I replied on the website. The scheduler does not bottleneck anymore, which is good. However, it finds errors that do not exist and won’t let me upload. I can delete the event and create it again, and there are no errors with the items which previously showed “errors”, but there are new mystery errors with other items. I’ve also tried just deleting the “error” items, but then it spins again, checks everything again, and finds other error items. I can’t upload the 2nd half of my auction!!!

It said “remove secondary category” from the latest error item – but there was no secondary category. All of the items come from the same master. So I clicked “remove”, and now it’s checking everything again…?

follow up: after I clicked “remove secondary category” and it checked everything again, it passed. so i went to check the “enable event” box, and the spinning beach ball started. it’s been spinning for 7 minutes.