Needing some more clarification on auto relist / automatic restart

Needing some more clarification on auto relist / automatic restart

1. eBay allows for item to be automatically relisted up to 9 times if it doesn’t sell (when you list or edit on eBay Australia site). How many times will GarageSale relist the item if the check box for automatic restart (inspector/advanced) is ticked?

2. eBay auto-relisted one of my items as I had ticked the box within eBay (edit listing) to allow for it to relist if it didn’t. The item sold after it was relisted. However it doesn’t show as sold within GarageSale. What do I need to do in the future so that edits I make to a listing on eBay website get updated in GarageSale?

3. If I only have a single item to sell do I need to fill in the quantity box (inspector/options/quantity) as “1” or do I leave it empty? I’ve been leaving it empty (not ticking this box at all) and this has been fine for me so far, but I haven’t been using the automatic restart feature.
    Do I need to fill in the quantity box if I only have one of each item? If I want to use the automatic restart feature in GS (inspector/advanced/automatic restart) - do I need to have a quantity set for it to work? I don’t want it to relist a item that has already sold.

Many thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can anyone help?

I’ve got eBay listings running for another few days and want to set them to restart if they don’t sell. Just waiting on answers to the above questions to help me decide if I should revise them for automatic restart from within GarageSale or edit from within eBay?

Hi - not sure about restart settings, but in general if you edit on EBAY there is no way of GarageSale to know what you did, so edit in GarageSale. Maybe take one listing, change setting to auto realist, and revise a to see what happens?

Thanks for your suggestion flypogger. I want to take advantage of eBay’s auto relist 9 times for free feature so that’s why I don’t want to change in GarageSale just yet until I have an answer to be sure I don’t miss out on this.

Anyone know how many times GarageSale will auto relist? Will it just keep going indefinitely?

Also - is it possible to revise a listing from within GarageSale to add auto relist? If so how?

There is a very good online manual that explains this. Go under the ‘Help’ menu, ‘Garagesale Help’. What you need is under the Advance tab in the ‘Inspector Pane’

Thanks Steve_Elliott. I know about manual and I always search it and the user forum before I post here.

I also know that the auto restart feature is located in the advanced inspector pane - that was the first thing I wrote about in my initial post above. Am I missing something? I can’t see how to revise a running listing to add auto relist to it? Or any of the answers to my other questions.

The “relist” is called “restart” feature. The bottom on the screen shot.

As mentioned twice already, I know where this is. That’s not my question.

Your listings can renew indefinitely as long as you set the auction for GTC (good til cancelled) and you use Iwascoding’s picture server option. They will keep your photos indefinitely. There is a small yearly fee for this. Of course this only works with buy it now.
If you want to change anything in one of your auctions, use the revise, the changes are made, and your auction continues.

HI Mila, I think I understand your frustration. I too am on ebay Australia and like to take advantage of the ebay free Relist offer. However, this seems not he same as the Restart/Relist function within GS (it is a convenience in the App, not tied to any ebay offers.)

Rightly or wrongly here’s what I do for now: list via GS; Edit the item on the ebay site, to tick “Auto Relist” (VERY boring, I hope someone can tell me how this can be done within GS??); and the item will relist for free if unsold.

If I want to make changes to any Auto Relisted items, this has to be done on the ebay site (as stated GS does not know that the item is relisted and has no control over it). For edits such as price, or even auction duration, this is fairly simple, however if you need to change the description created by GS, you may have to hunt through the HTML code via the ebay edit page :frowning:

Relisting an unsold listing is always free, isn’t it? So I don’t see why you shouldn’t relist from within GarageSale.
From the GarageSale website:

Finished listings that haven’t received any bids or didn’t sell can be relisted without paying listing fees twice (depending on eBay’s relisting policy).

eBay’s relisting policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/relist.html

Regards, Kristian

I wasn’t aware of the 8 free relists when using the quick listing tool. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is this something that can be implemented through GarageSale? I don’t think realists are free anymore, it used to be if the realist SOLD they didn’t charge a realist fee. Anyone know for sure?

My experience using ebay Australia, and my first times with GS7, were that the GS Relists were seen an new/additional listings by ebay (and billed accordingly) :frowning: Only when using the Revise Your Item link in ebay can you check the box to get Automatic (and free) relisting. 34The GS Relist function does not ‘check’ this on ebay, and in my experience a GS Relist will be billed as a new listing. I am happy to be corrected, AND I’d much prefer to it be managed all in GS!

I have been in hospital with a sick child so have missed these comments and I see there have been quite a few queries.

I have more questions than answers and don’t have time right now to post them but one that has the most urgency is:

How do I add automatic restart within GS AFTER listing is up and running?? I selected auto restart (see attached image 1). However, what do I select on the ‘Revise item’ options? (see attached image 2)

I don’t see this option. I tried selecting ‘Duration’ and revising the listing. However when I go to look at it within eBay (revise item on eBay website) automatic relist doesn’t show as being selected. (see attached 3 ). Meaning to say it looks like eBay doesn’t recognise it as automatic restart? Shouldn’t this appear as being selected on the eBay editor?

Also, if I tick the automatic restart box from with BOTH eBay and GS AFTER listing is running will this cause issues with automatic restart such as being charged twice or 2 separate listings of same item restarting?

Thank you kindly

Image1
Image2

Maybe click on the REVISE SELECTED PROPERTIES ONLY bar and change it to REVISE ENTIRE LISTING? See if that works…

Thanks flypogger. I did try to REVISE ENTIRE LISTING, but it comes back as not able to revise since certain elements cannot be revised if there are less than 12hrs remaining on active listing.

So maybe someone from iwascoding can answer these questions so we can get some solutions and shut down this thread? After many replies (thanks everyone) and more questions from other members I’m no closer to answers on my original post and am now left with even more questions about Automatic restart than I had to begin with.

PLEASE NOTE - ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS REFER TO AUCTION & FIXED PRICE LISTINGS (NO GTC LISTINGS)

Here’s a summary, attempting to be as articulate, brief and clear as possible:

1. Is it possible to add Automatic Restart within GarageSale AFTER eBay listing has begun (to revise currently running listings)? If so how? Please outline all steps. (I tried but couldn’t do it. Afterwards my listings ended. They automatically restarted because I revised them on eBay website before the listings ended. Sadly they now don’t appear as active listings within GarageSale.)

2. How many times will GarageSale relist if ‘Automatic Restart’ box is selected? Indefinitely? Or is it the same as when listing or revising the item from eBay website, which relists unsold items up to 9 more times after original (unsold) listing has ended? I don’t believe unlimited relists are free, just 9. It would be good to know if GS is set up to stop after 9 relists as eBay does?

(Automatic relists don’t count towards zero insertion fee listing balance. From eBay Australia: “For casual, non-business sellers, your initial listing counts towards your monthly free listings allowance, but automatic relisting doesn’t. If you’re a business seller using Selling Manager, Selling Manager Pro, or Seller Hub, normal insertion fees apply to each automatic relisting.” Source: Relisting items | eBay)

3. If I want to use the Automatic Restart feature in GS (inspector/advanced/automatic restart) - do I need to have the quantity set to “1” in the quantity box if I only have one of that item? Or do I leave it blank? 19%20am

4. The GarageSale online manual shows 3 relisting options are available from the pull-down tab.

However GS 7 only has 2 options: Relist with changes OR Relist with Image & Description Changes. (Assume the manual needs to be updated?) In the meantime, am I correct to understand that ‘Relist with Changes’ will include EVERYTHING on listing that has changed since original listing?
00%20am

5. Finally, GarageSale Automatic Restart does not show up as being selected when viewing listing on eBay website through ‘revise your item’ or ‘edit’ view. See here how the box is showing up as unticked:
35%20am

Does this mean that eBay does not recognise GS relists and starts them as new listings? Don’t want to have to pay listing fees again when they should be free or to use up my monthly free listings allowance twice on the same listing!

This was mentioned by vince4GS on this thread 5 days ago:

vince4GS
My experience using ebay Australia, and my first times with GS7, were that the GS Relists were seen an new/additional listings by ebay (and billed accordingly) :frowning: Only when using the Revise Your Item link in ebay can you check the box to get Automatic (and free) relisting.
37%20am
The GS Relist function does not ‘check’ this on ebay, and in my experience a GS Relist will be billed as a new listing. I am happy to be corrected, AND I’d much prefer to it be managed all in GS!

That’s a big concern if you have over a hundred listings running, as I do!

Looking forward to some clarity on these. Thank you kindly.

Hi Mila,

I’ll try to answer some of your questions.

1. As long as the listing is still active you can enable GarageSale’s “Auto Restart” option. You don’t need to invoke the revise command - it’s a just an “internal” function that fires the relist command once your listing has ended.
    Please don’t mix it up with eBay’s auto relist function. These are two pairs of shoes.

2. I guess you can relist an item as often as you want. At least I didn’t find any limitations on the eBay website.
    Again, don’t mix it up with eBay’s “auto relist” option.

3. As far as I can tell it doesn’t matter. As long as you don’t have the listing connected with an inventory item it doesn’t matter. (@Ilja: Please correct me if I am wrong.)

4. The screenshot you’re showing is referring to the Relisting Options in the Launch Control window!
    “Relist with changes” will relist with all changes you made to the listing, yes.

5. That’s true. GarageSale’s auto restart feature has nothing to do with eBay’s auto relist option. When GarageSale’s auto restart feature was implemented in GarageSale, eBay’s auto relist feature didn’t even exist as far as I can tell.

You should only use GarageSale’s auto restart option OR eBay’s auto relist option. If you use both you end up with multiple listings.
However, as a GarageSale user it might be a good idea to not use eBay’s auto relist feature. GarageSale is not aware of listings relisted through the eBay website.

Regards, Kristian

Kristian, now that you are identifying GS and Ebay “relist” functions as “different pairs of shoes”, should you revise your previous position of “I don’t see why you shouldn’t relist from within GarageSale” and “it might be a good idea to not use eBay’s auto relist feature”?

From the link you attached of ebay’s Relist Policy, I quote, “It’s important to remember that manual relists count towards your zero insertion fee listings balance”. To confirm, the GS relist function, while convenient, is actually a manual relist, from ebay’s perspective, yes? And so, as did happen with me, GS relists counted against my Free Listings quota for the month (but the ebay Automatic Relists do not). Depending on your Free quota, the decision to use one Relist function over the other could be a significant financial one.

Obviously Ebay relists cannot be edited within GS, and if that’s what a user needs more than a truely Free relist, then GS would be the choice.

So again, I suggest that “I don’t see why you shouldn’t” could be revised? And clearly explain to GS Users the full implications of which “pair of shoes” to choose.

1 Like

@Kristian thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much.

However I’ve still got questions:

1. You say in your reply above that GarageSale’s “Auto Restart” and eBay’s “Auto Relist” are completely different:

kristian
Please don’t mix it up with eBay’s auto relist function. These are two pairs of shoes.

That’s really confusing. How are they different? Aren’t they doing the same thing? As in relisting the unsold item?? Please elaborate.

1. kristian
    I guess you can relist an item as often as you want. At least I didn’t find any limitations on the eBay website.
    Again, don’t mix it up with eBay’s “auto relist” option.

Ok - so having the Automatic Restart box ticked in GaragrageSale means unsold listings will restart indefinitely - is that correct? More importantly - they are free relists that don’t count towards monthly quota of free eBay listings, since they are being restarted and are not new listings?

1. Right - No quantity is necessary to be listed in the box (can leave it blank) so long as it’s not connected to an inventory. Got it.
    37%20am

2. kristian
    The screenshot you’re showing is referring to the Relisting Options in the Launch Control window!
    “Relist with changes” will relist with all changes you made to the listing, yes.

51%20pm
Yes, that’s right - I understand that you mean to say that if the GarageSale Automatic Restart box is ticked then:
Relist with Changes = ALL of the elements available in Launch control will be updated
Relist with Image and Description Changes = Only Image and Description will be updated
and there is no more “Relist without changes” option (as per image I attached above from online GS manual). Am I understanding this correctly?

1. This one I am finding most unclear. Here is my question, followed by your reply:

Mila
GarageSale Automatic Restart does not show up as being selected when viewing listing on eBay website through ‘revise your item’ or ‘edit’ view. See here how the box is showing up as unticked:
35%20am
50%20am

Your reply:

kristian
That’s true. GarageSale’s auto restart feature has nothing to do with eBay’s auto relist option. When GarageSale’s auto restart feature was implemented in GarageSale, eBay’s auto relist feature didn’t even exist as far as I can tell.

Are you saying “That’s true” to automatic relist box not being ticked on eBay website OR “That’s true” that eBay does not recognise GS relists and starts them as new listings, hence charging again for the same listing and using up montlhy free listings allowance twice on same listing? Please clarify.

It’s even more confusing because in an earlier reply (from 9 days ago), you wrote this:

25%20am

1. Lastly, your closing remarks were:

kristian
You should only use GarageSale’s auto restart option OR eBay’s auto relist option. If you use both you end up with multiple listings.
However, as a GarageSale user it might be a good idea to not use eBay’s auto relist feature. GarageSale is not aware of listings relisted through the eBay website.

Hmmmm… I actually did use both GarageSale’s auto restart option AND eBay’s auto relist option for my recently ended listings (both selected BEFORE listings ended). However, GarageSale DIDN’T auto restart, but eBay DID relist. Meaning to say that the listings in GarageSale have this symbol ImageA next to them, but listings restarted on eBay. So I didn’t end up with multiple listings. Which, indicates that eBay Automatic Relist settings invalidates GarageSale’s Auto Restart setting and doesn’t make multiple listings if both are selected. Would you say that is correct?

Can you see why I’m struggling with understanding this? Looking forward to your reply. Most especially because I have over a hundred listings ending (again) in less than 24hrs and I don’t want to be paying for them over and over again as this is a very costly mistake if I am to be charged because I am restarting them as suggested from within GarageSale. Thanks in advance! :grinning: