GS 9: problem with eBay token

I am using GS beta 14 on macOS 12.3 . Might this help? And yes, I also have to refresh token every day, also two or more times daily …

Hi,

actually, the token should not behave differently on GS8 and GS9. About a year ago eBay did migrate to a new token system that actually has a refresh and a access token. The date in the preferences reflects the refresh token, which should be valid about a year or so.

The refresh token is only used to refresh (hence the name) to get a access token wich is only valid for about 15 minutes. This token is then used to connect to various eBay APIs.

As said before, also GS8 did use the new token, but if you have a (very old, deprecated) token it might never expire and this might be the reason why still be able to use GS8. If you update the token in GS8 you will then get the pair of new tokens. The new APIs from eBay do not support the old, deprecated tokens at all.

So the main question is why you get a refresh token that lasts only a few hours. How do you know that your token is expired? Do you get an error? Which error do you get?

Thanks,
Paul

In addition it also would be helpful if you (fedege96) could enable “remote logging” for GarageSale on your Mac. This way we can see the communication between eBay and GarageSale.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Start GarageSale and immediately click and hold down the ctrl-key on your keyboard.

2. A small window should appear allowing you to enable “debug options”.

3. In the Debug options panel, check the “Remote Logging” checkbox and paste this unique identifier: STy9Pg

4. Try to trigger the eBay error/reproduce the issue and also refresh your eBay access token

5. Restart GarageSale. If you still see a “Logging” menu in GarageSale menu bar, click on it and select “disable logging”.

6. Please let us know when you’re done with this.

Regards, Kristian

Hi Paul,
I know because when I try to list or revise any listing, the red warning appears (like now… again!): it says “Gs cannot elaborate the listing because no access key is present”:

Schermata 2022-03-29 alle 13.09.04

If you go to preference, the access token seems valid BUT something is different: it says when the token was downloaded, not when it will expire as it said when I updated the token:

Schermata 2022-03-29 alle 13.10.41

Incredibly, I just quit GS and restart with debug enabled as Kristian explained and… surprise! Now the token works! I mean, 2 minutes ago it didn’t work, I quit GS, reopened with debug and the token is working. BUT… something changed again in preferences, now the token expire date is back (27th September) and there is no more the download date as in the last photo:

Schermata 2022-03-29 alle 13.19.36

I didn’t do anything with the token, just closed the app. How could be possible? Might this bug depend if you leave GS always opened?

Now the debug session is closed, I will check if it happens again. Then I will try to quit the app, reopen (without debugging) and see if it works or not. If not, I will do another debug session.

@paul I should have been able to find the reason of the bug. If you don’t quite GS for some time, the token somehow broken. As soon as quit the app and reopen, the token works again. Please check video (don’t pay attention to strange color, I am working remotely on GS within teamviewer).

Did you perhaps re-authorize GarageSale 8.x on that Mac recently?

No I didn’t, that computer is brand new. Only GS 9 is installed.

The problem persists. I just checked and the token was again invalid. Now in preferences a warning appeared under my account nickname: “upgrade necessary”

Please let me know what I can send you to catch this issue. This is a big problem for me because I cannot work this way.

This screenshot says your account “needs upgrade”, right? This is only visible if your account does not have a new token. Do you use an older GarageSale version in parallel? Do you either sync the files or the keychain manually (e.g. by a link to a cloud service)?

I can not think of a way GarageSale 9 should write the keychain data in an older format. This can only be done by an older GarageSale version.

Yes, exactly, but it makes no sense. The token has been updated some hours before.

Yes! I have still GS 8.4.1 on my older Mac, but it should use the new ebay token, doesn’t it?

No I don’t. What do you mean by synching files?

See that 8 and 9 have different application identifiers. This might be confusing your computers

So can’t I use in parallel version 8 and 9? This might be a problem. They are not in sync, I just use 9 to manage listings and the 8 to manage orders…

Of cause you can. But as we have several customers who do this there is something special about your setup. My guess is that the old version is writing something into the Keychain that the new version can not work with.

I will try to delete account from GS 8, restart and re-add it. I will see if this works.

No, you should just not switch between GS8 and GS9 on an hourly basis. GS8 will break your token for GS9 (as they share the same Keychain entry).

You should either completely work on GS8 or GS9.

Why do you hesitate to completely switch to GS9? You should be able to migrate your orders, too. In addition, your data will be more and more different the longer you work on them. There is no way of importing only the changes from GS8 into GS9. So in a few weeks or months you will have to migrate GS8 to GS9 and completely lost your work on GS9.

1 Like

Hi Paul,
I see, thanks for explanation.
The situation is quite complicated. I now work on GS from 2 different machines. One is left in the office and works 24/7, at least it will start to work as soon as a solution for the “out of stock” issue will be found :pray: (Issue with multiple quantity listings and auto relist feature). I work and check it remotely from my laptop. The second machine is used to manage orders, create new listings but not for working and managing active listings. In other words, one machine is used to manage active listing with auto-ending and restarting feature (GS9), the second one (with GS8) is used to only create listings (which are then imported into the first Mac to be listed) and to manage orders. I hope I explained it clearly (sorry if not… let me know). This is why I don’t care if their database are different. I won’t lose the work on GS9 because this is still the main machine, but not yet fully working on its own. Hopefully soon, when a workaround for the “out of stock” issue will be found ( :pray:), the first Mac with GS9 will work on its own, and the second Mac, whose listings will be all expired in one or two months, will be only a database of inactive listings. This is why I need GS downloading photos for orders which listings are not in the database (thanks again Ilja for that, I will check soon if everything works fine).

Then, the second machine has still Sierra installed and I am afraid updating to the newer OS would slowly down the machine itself and also changing my workflow. This is why I still use GS8 on it, I am afraid GS9 might give troubles on Sierra. Moreover, as you know I really spent times in the past for testing GS, now I do it but I would like to do it on a separate database as a sort of prevention agains any possible trouble (at least until the beta won’t end). I am too worried about corrupting my 27.000+ active listings database, it would be a nightmare to rebuilt…
This is in summary the reason of my actual situation. I really didn’t expect it would have created problem with the ebay token. I will upgrade also the second Mac to GS9, if there are no other solution. … aren’t they @paul ?

3 weeks ago I jumped from 10.15.7 Catalina to 12.2.1 Monterey. I was having mild weird GS 8 glitches so I made the jump to 12.2.1 Monterey when GS 9 came out. Aside from the mild sidebar issue (been reported) it has been seamless and without problems so far.

Thanks Richard, maybe it’s time to upgrade, but over all possible issues of GS (which mild weird glitches did you had?), now I am really afraid newer OS might slowing down my Macbook pro (mid 2015). Too many times happened and I don’t won’t it to happen again (both on iPhones and Macs). Sierra works so fast on my machine, the workflow is almost perfect. I am afraid and tired of forced obsolescence…

The new updates to GS 8 &9 and beta testing was being done on Monterey and Big Sur by GS and I was having issues because fixes to GS being done didn’t work back on OS 10. My computer is a late 2015 maxed out with chips and the fastest for the time processor 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. Speed issues for me has to do with cable internet and never computer processing speed. I always wait 6 months to upgrade OS to let other people work on the problems.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.